Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 386 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Originally Posted by Licorice26
    DS5 watched Toy Story 1 on a plane ride by himself and really enjoyed it. So we took him and DS3 as a special treat to see Toy Story 3 at a movie theater. Both got so scared of the 'bad' toys that we had to leave half way through the movie.

Mr W was 2.5 yrs old when we took him to see TS3. He got really upset as well, so he sat in my lap and I whispered in his ear, telling him things will work out fine. He was later glad he sat through to the end.

He also had issues with the witch in Tangled and I did the same thing. When we went a 2nd time, he talked to himself, telling himself, "Its OK. It will work out."

W
    W
    DH took DD, then 4, to see Wall e. Having taken her to many movies and watched many Disney princess movies with witches and evil stepmothers, we didn't expect this but she had to leave in the first minutes. The opening scene where Wall e sees devastation in his homeland looked a lot like NYC and my daughter freaked.

So you never know what freaks out a kid.

Ren

OP Offline
    Oh, my, yes-- I just remembered another one from when DD was very young.

We have lived on the west coast for well over a decade, so DD only has fragmented memories of living anywhere else, and she's never seen anything on the east coast other than on television.

She caught about 15 minutes of here-and-there random coverage of 9/11 when she was just two (nightly news, and some live coverage day-of). She asked questions about it at the time, but we were deliberately VERY vague, other than to note that HUMANS caused the buildings to collapse, not natural causes (this was shortly after the Nisqually quake locally). Four months later, we were driving somewhere on a road trip, and she began WAILING from the back seat of the car after we passed a pulp mill along the highway.

When I calmed her down to a point of coherence, my then 2 yo explained that the very tall stack of the pulp mill had elicited fear that "the building would fall down."

I realized after a few minutes that she simply had no experience with the scale of true skyscrapers, and that she was associating the relative height and profile of the emission smokestack with the mental image that she had, "just like the buildings on TV that fell down when the bad men flew the airplanes into them."

My mind still boggles at this-- she was so little, and it had been so long, and she (I didn't think) had been given enough information to put any of this together.

(This was the same road trip where she later swore viciously at her inability to escape from her car seat, by the way. wink )

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    T
    T
    That movie was horrible. I could not believe she died!
    My DS8 was so upset and so was I.
    He kept saying but why did she have to die.
    I kept waiting for that happy ending that never came.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM