Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thank you again for all the great replies! I'm going to call our psych. and see if I can get the achievement tests started. So even though he got a 147 and 144 on the verbal and performance, I thought this was only in the highly gifted level, not the PG or EG? Is this because he scored so high/hit the ceiling on the subtests? You also mentioned that if they just took those two scores, you think he would be over 150. How can he be over 150 if none of his scores are over 150? So sorry for all the questions, but there is so much to learn! THANK YOU!

Originally Posted by sunshine4
    You also mentioned that if they just took those two scores, you think he would be over 150. How can he be over 150 if none of his scores are over 150?

Ok - imagine that one in a hundred people in a room are wearing red shoes. And that One in a hundred people in that same room have purple hats. How many people would you expect to have BOTH red shoes and a purple hat? None!

How many rooms of people with the same dressing habits would you expect to have to look through before you found the room with the person who was wearing BOTH the red shoes and the purple hat? Quite a few, right?

That's why those two unusually high scores are even rarer when found together.

Actually - you aren't asking a bad question. After all - if it really were possible to give a single number that compared the intelligence of a Einstien and Shakespeare, then a perfect IQ test would reflect that 'true intelligence' (called little g or 'g') and so would each of it's subtests! All the subtests would always be the same. But realistically - would you like to rank Albert Einstien vs. William Shakespeare? Not me! So we have variations on the idea of multiple areas where intelligence can be noted.

Hope that helps,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by jack'smom
    I see what you mean.
    My son has been in a Montessori preschool/kindergarten for 2 years. It is 100% Montessori, private school. He does very little reading and writing there; we have worked with him at home to get him reading, which he is doing well at.
    However, I do think his Montessori is not very good at verbal things, getting kids to read, etc. At least half of the kindergartners finish that year unable to read. He did great on the nonverbal part of the test and good but not great on the verbal. I'm wondering if that is related to the school background.

It's so interesting how different Montessori schools are. The one my ds goes to has all the kids reading by the end of the kindergarten year, it's very rare they aren't. Have you talked to the teacher about his academic needs?

I can spell, I just can't type on my iPad.
    J
    J
    I have talked to the teacher and she keeps saying how great he is doing! We supplement afterschool with Singapore math and other workbooks, having him read out loud to us. I've been unimpressed with much of the Montessori system, except for math.

I know it really depends on the school. Does your son say he likes school? Mine does not. frown I think he's still dealing with a little seperation anxiety, and getting over having twins enter the family after he spent almost 4 years as an only child. We are trying to figure out what to do with him next year. He is a November baby so we have the K cut off to get around.

I can spell, I just can't type on my iPad.
    Mia Offline
    A note to the original question -- my ds-now-8 had very similar WPPSI scores at 5.5y, and qualifying+ achievement testing. When we applied to DYS the first time, they told us they needed more information since the IQ was close, but not quite.

I put together an admittedly very strong portfolio, with several videos of ds talking about his ertswhile passion -- severe weather -- and doing some math just for fun, along with a few written samples. That did the trick! Try the portfolio route with the scores you've got!

Mia
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...