Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 359 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    GeoMamma #93176 01/20/11 08:58 PM
    Thanks. I feel better now. I've finished a couple of things that really had to get done, and I grumbled a bit (here and also to DH).

Oh. And DS packed himself into a suitcase (we're leaving tomorrow). That was cute enough to fix a LOT.

-Mich

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    F
    F
    Finally talked to the Gifted Teacher today and the 1st grade teacher. They are going to rearrange the way books are done. She has 2 more chapters to read in the Junie B. Jones book so she will be finishing it. Next book she gets to pick and I've talked to the teacher about her burning out reading. So we're going to 1 chapter a night with better questions instead of "What is one important thing that happened in the chapter" It'll also help with her writing which is horrible but we're working on it. With the Gifted Teacher we have set up a meeting to go over a few things but in the mean time she's going to discuss yet again with the 1st grade teacher that DD does not need to be doing everything so repetitively. She agrees that it should be more challenging and that she gets it after 1 or 2 times of it being taught and doesn't need to rehash it 10 or more times.

So we're getting there. Now if I could get DD to remember to turn in her homework, it would be much better.

Great news, Foltzy, I hope it works out!

M
    M
    Hysterical puns! We're big fans of them around this house. Can't wait to show them to the DC!! Thanks for posting them.

E
    E
    I loved the puns! Word play is a huge entertainment for our entire family. I shudder to think what the servers at restaurants think of us some times. We play word games frequently while waiting for our meals. When several of us are together we can have as many as 14 people playing off each other.

E
    E
    Random thought...

IS it wrong to be almost happy that DS (11) is getting his first C on a report card this time? I'd be completely happy if it meant that the work level was appropriate. Sadly, it just means that DS was so bored, he forgot to turn in assignments. However, it still gives me something to use to demonstrate why he needs to do the boring homework. No chance on getting more meaningful homework so we're working on the grin and bear it and just get it done AND turned in attitude.

elh0706 #93414 01/24/11 09:07 AM
    Originally Posted by elh0706
    Random thought...

IS it wrong to be almost happy that DS (11) is getting his first C on a report card this time? ... However, it still gives me something to use to demonstrate why he needs to do the boring homework.
    Contact with reality in a way that doesn't cause permanent harm should always be celebrated! Much better to learn the lesson now with support than later.
    Sad about giving up on getting appropriate work, though - can you find other ways to let him spend some of his time at his readiness level (summer/ afterschool/ weekends?)
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    E
    E
    Grinity,
    Yes, we do spend out of school time on much more level appropriate learning and exploration. He loves that sort of activity. Case in point he is stuck in 8th grade SAXON math but loves to pull out his Dad's Calculus books and figure out derivatives on his own. He is also working on a Science fair project that in my opinion is much more complicated than most of his age mates. We go to museum exhibitions, music performances and he reads everything under the sun! It is just painful, for him and for us that school provides so little academic challenge and so much challenge in dealing with arbitrary rules, and following rules without much incentive. I agree these skills are good to learn, however, they can be learned with a challenging academic program.

Ok, am I the only one that thought Random Chatting, was going to be about children that wont stop talking?

Edwin #93425 01/24/11 10:01 AM
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by Edwin
    Ok, am I the only one that thought Random Chatting, was going to be about children that wont stop talking?

laugh ROFL laugh

If it were, my DS9 would definitely qualify me to participate!!!

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM