Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 145 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    #91679 12/28/10 07:53 PM
    OP Offline
    I saw a thread like this when I browsed the gifted haven.
    It was just a long, rambling thread about whatever was on your mind when it happened. I see a need for such a thread as there's currently a thread gone way off topic as posters take pleasure in discussion and in sharing each others company. I'll start with a story from my week. But feel free to go off topic here, or just respond to my post. That's kind of the point of this thread. This thread is meant to be for conversation whereas most threads here are meant to be kept as archives of certain topics.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    OP Offline
    The hubby got a new job. �He already had job when they offered. �This new job has him working 7 days on and 7 days off in the oilfield. �Rotating the work weeks. �He'll be gone once a month. �We can make plans and do more fun stuff and he can do all my honey-do's. �It's the same pay with more days off. �Poor Wyatt's taking it hard. �He was asking indirectly at first, "won't dada want the last bananna for lunch tomorrow". �Eventually it became point blank �"do we still have a dada?". The hubby said that was a kick in the pants. �I've told him his dad's at work. �They talk several times a day. �This morning Wyatt me told me to look at the tv. �I said, I'm busy, why? �He said "there's a mom and a dad." and he started crying. �It was a commercial with a couple laughing togeather in a kitchen. �He'll adjust. �But this is sad. �I didn't know the boy would take it like this. His dad's been gone for work before but it's been awhile ago.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    A
    A
    Oh, that's tough, isn't it? Many of my family in the South worked the off shore oil rigs, and, yes, the kids adjust. But it's not fun to go through that.

Thanks for starting this thread.

L
    L
    I'm sorry your son is having a difficult time with his dad being gone. My sister in law's husband also works on the oil rigs (they live in texas too) and she often has a hard time with her little ones missing their dad. My husband is in the military and when he's gone we try to keep in contact with computer/webcam and also he reads books and makes dvds for the kids to watch. I'm sure your son will begin to predict his dad's schedule and will become easier for him to deal with the change but until then, good luck!!

F
    F
    I'm sorry your son is having a difficult time.

Is Skyping a possiblity? Iphone picture chat?
    Chilling to hear the 'baby thoughts' in vivid technicolor!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    OP Offline
    I don't know. He'll be home in two days and we'll have a whole week of family stuff. I thought I'd share this cute pic of a dad and a boy. The dad's the one on the right with the glasses. The scribbly faced one's the boy. It kind of looks to me like they're hugging. http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad296/Hablame_today/1ea8d325.jpg

I wanted to show off some more artwork;
    "a bellyache" (too much choc milk)
    http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad296/Hablame_today/06e522ae.jpg
    "elephant" (Christmas present)
    http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad296/Hablame_today/4cb21574.jpg
    And random monsters:
    http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad296/Hablame_today/aad6412e.jpg
    http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad296/Hablame_today/d261afe6.jpg
    http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad296/Hablame_today/0c80c27d.jpg
    http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad296/Hablame_today/866cd4bd.jpg
    (probably inspired by Monsters Inc IMO)

Last edited by La Texican; 12/29/10 07:50 PM.

Big hugs to Wyatt. He is clearly a Daddy's boy. He will adjust but it still has to pull on your heart strings.

C
    C
    How old is your little guy again? That sounds really tough!

OP Offline
    He's short of 3.5 yrs old by a couple months. I think the daddy drawing was a positive adjustment. I guess he finally got enough phone calls and answers to satisfy his doubt. It looks almost like they're hugging and they both have smiley faces. But who knows how he'll feel after having him home for another whole week and it happens again. Well, he'll get used to it. We all have to get used to it. I was pretty sad when I made the first post, but I felt so much better after he made the happy picture.

Lotsotots5 those dvd's sound like a great idea. Actually that gives me an idea for extended family. With elderly family members I've been taking extra pictures for the photo album so there will be some kind of memories. I didn't even think to use dvd's. We have the technology. I was thinking about those "tell me your story" books you're supposed to get your grandparents to write in. But a video of them telling stories or sharing a recipe would be great momento's.

ABQmom, the oilrigs? Like the bp ? That was crazy. I don't understand the pressure, but I guess it makes a lot more pressure than they expected under water. Thanks for assuring they'll adjust.

Grinnity, the hubby's been kind of wanting a laptop. It wasn't a top priority since we both have iPhones and a computer at the house (not iPhone 4's). So, I guess here's a good reason.

Thanks Foltzy, thanks Katelyn's mom. Katelyn's mom, how you been doing lately? Enjoying the Holliday break?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM