Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 351 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    foltzy #92709 01/14/11 10:05 AM
    Originally Posted by foltzy
    (The teacher usually writes these for her because they don't have any questions for the book she's reading)....but in school they are making her read Junie B. Jones and then ask her questions such as What is one important thing that happened in Chapter 1? What's the Characters Name? I can see it when I watch her. She hates it. It's time for Parent/Teacher meetings in a week or two and my husband and I decided that we were going to talk to her teacher and pull her gifted teacher in because there has to be something better. When she's with the gifted teacher they do much harder math stuff and much harder reading questions.
    Parent/Teacher meeting aren't the best place for this sort of discussion. 15 minutes per family. Many, many families.

If the teacher is writing the question for your daughter individually, then why can't she write questions like 'please copy edit.'

Call the school NOW and let them know your DD is suffering and hates to do homework and request a meeting with teacher and GC to explore this in depth - you'll need at least an hour. It isn't normal to hate homework in 1st grade.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    F
    F
    Thanks. My husband and I are calling on Monday. We're going to set up a meeting with both of them and go from there.

The one good thing about of school is that there is only 15 kids in the class. So parent meetings are actually about 30 minutes or longer. Sadly most of the parents won't request a meeting since it's not required only the first meeting is required.

K
    K
    FWIW, both of my DDs hated Junie B too. They thought that she was an obnoxious, attention-seeking troublemaker. If the teacher is already writing separate questions, why not suggest letting DD read things that she enjoys. It won't make the questions less annoying but the reading won't be as painful.

I just saw the movie "The King's Speech" - enjoyed it very much. Lovely vignettes of gifted family life. I thought that they portrayed George IV as gifted as well. Opinions?

Grinity #93001 01/18/11 01:53 PM
    I am a mentor for a FIRST Robotics team, so I am currently spending my weekends in "the shed" with my team working on designing and building their robot for this year's competition (check out FIRST Robotics FRC group for more info). DDalmost 8 has been coming along trying desperately to get the "big kids" to let her help. Well, I loved watching her work her way into these high school kids' field of view. She was a persistant, yet gentle little fly that eventually they noticed and allowed her to help out. She was rewarded for her persistance by being allowed a chance to drive the prototype bot at the end of the weekend. You should have seen the grin on her face! smile
    I love the fact that I can take my daughter to something as cool as this and not have to worry about her destroying the place, but instead have confidence that she will find a way to helpout with the project. All of the difficulty it is sometimes raising a kid like her seems almost worth it when we can do things like this. laugh

OP Offline
    I don't know where else to send this e-mail but my uncle sent it to me this morning. The gifted kid's will love these "puns for educated people". Something else to talk about tomorrow at breakfast.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    OP Offline

���� For all you word lovers out there---this is classic!

Puns for Educated Minds

The fattest knight at�King Arthur's Round Table�was Sir Cumference.
    He acquired his size from too much pi.
    I thought I saw an eye doctor on an Alaskan island,
    but it turned out to be an optical Aleutian .
    She was only a whiskey maker, but he loved her still.
    A rubber band pistol was confiscated from algebra class,
    because it was a weapon of math disruption.
    No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.
    A dog gave birth to puppies near the road . . . and was cited for littering.
    A grenade thrown into a kitchen in� France�would result in Linoleum Blownapart.
    Two silk worms had a race. They ended up in a tie.
    A hole has been found in the nudist camp wall.� The police are looking into it.
    Time flies like an arrow.� Fruit flies like a banana.
    Atheism�is a non-prophet organization.
    Two hats were hanging on a hat rack in the hallway
    One hat said to the other:�'You stay here; I'll go on a head.'
    I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger.� Then it hit me.
    A sign on the lawn at a drug rehab center said:� 'Keep off the Grass.'
    The midget fortune-teller who escaped from prison was a small medium at large.
    The soldier who survived mustard gas and pepper spray is now a seasoned veteran.
    A backward poet writes inverse.
    In a democracy it's your vote that counts;
    In feudalism it's your count that votes.
    When cannibals ate a missionary, they got a taste of religion.
    If you jumped off the bridge in� Paris�, you'd be in Seine .
    A vulture boards an airplane, carrying two dead raccoons.
    The stewardess looks at him and says,�'I'm sorry, sir, only one carrion allowed per passenger.'
    Two fish swim into a concrete wall.� One turns to the other and says�'Dam!'
    ����
    Two Eskimos sitting in a kayak were chilly, so they lit a fire in the craft.
    Unsurprisingly it sank,
    proving once again that you can't have your kayak and heat it too.
    Two hydrogen atoms meet.� One says,�'I've lost my electron.'
    The other says�'Are you sure?'
    The first replies,�'Yes, I'm positive.'
    Did you hear about the Buddhist who refused Novocain during a root canal?
    His goal:� transcend dental medication.
    There was the person who sent ten puns to friends,
    with the hope that at least one of the puns would make them laugh.
    �������������������������������������������������������� No pun in ten DID��

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    For the record, I have a friend who's in to tracend dental medication whenever he's in at all. (really, the guy is... DUMB... except for the smart part)

I'm just writing to cry at you all. We don't fit in. Everyone is complaining about how their kids sleep. And it's so not even the same ballpark, I don't feel like I can say anything. And they're complaining about temper tantrums. And it's not the same ballpark NOW, let alone when DS used to have tantrums. I'm down to talking about where I found the missing bannana last week. DS spent all day yesterday talking about dead things, and then there was the chicken egg conversation (and dye plants, just to confuse the issue), and I'm shy of even talking to his dad about it becuase.. because... because...

How come so many kids seem to survive being in one room ten hours a day five days a week? It can't really be true, can it?

Mich, master of angst.

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    ((pat, pat)) Mich

Michaela #93155 01/20/11 06:16 PM
    Mich, I know what you mean. It is so hard not to get into some sort game on it. I really do wonder sometimes how so many children get through what seems to be an awful system in a lot of ways and still be OK. How does that work?

Hmm, then again, thinking of my last foray into my local shopping center, and maybe they aren't so OK laugh (sorry, I'll be good now...)

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM