Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 143 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Anyone familiar with the Stanford 10 for 3rd grade and particularly the Word Study section? I'm wondering what these scores might indicate:

1st Grade:
    Word Study - 91
    Word Reading - 96
    Sentence Reading - 95
    Reading Comprehension - 93

2nd Grade:
    Word Study - 81
    Reading Vocabulary - 97
    Reading Comprehension - 98

3rd Grade:
    Word Study - 49 (!)
    Reading Vocabulary - 97
    Reading Comprehension - 94

At the beginning of the year, her teacher sent a letter out saying that because they'd been persistently perplexed by the 3rd graders' low word study scores, they were trying something new this year for spelling instruction, but obviously it didn't work for DD. smile I'm at a loss. Anyone have any theories?

DD doesn't do as well in group testing situations, but a 49 seems really low.

I
    I
    The word study skills are things like compound words, word structure and matching word sounds.
    She may be misunderstanding the directions or just going through those questions too fast. There's a Kaplan Stanford 10 Workbook that may help shed some light on what's going on:
    http://www.amazon.com/Stanford-10-Workbook-Grade-3/dp/142779653X

L
    L
    Wow! My daughter had simialr results. 90's for vocab and comprehension but 38 for word study. I was thinking it was due to partial hearing loss- Possible?

I
    I
    Possible. If she has trouble hearing the word in her head, she'd have a hard time matching ear to dear vs. pear or bear.

L
    L
    Interesting. Thanks,inky!

M
    M
    I HATE the word study skills and I think it's especially bad for gifted kids. If you look on the Pearson's site (or just input "word study skills phonetic analysis stanford 10) you can see that it actually only includes three sections (subsections within the Word Study Skills)
    Structural analysis
    Phonetic analysis consonants
    Phonetic analysis vowels
    These are PRE READING skills. My guess is that if you are on this board, your child already knows how to read quite well. My ds10 BOMBED this section in first grade and I couldn't understand it. He was reading the newspaper, Harry Potter, talking to his high school/college age sisters intelligently... HUH?!
    Well, what I realized is that my son had two strong disadvantages. One, he had never learned to read phonetically. He just picked up a book and read one day at an early age. He never sounded things out. He just read enough and talked enough that he was able to "match" words in his head with words he saw. The vowel and consonant analysis are all the type: "The vowel sound in weigh is most like the vowel sound in went, break, wean or light?" Or "The consonant sound in phone is more like the consonant sound in laugh, prone, pick or pretend?" (and yes, I know that is a bad example because there are two consonants, but you get the idea).. My son just never "broke apart" words.
    What p.o.'d me to no end is that the whole point of it was to see if your child possessed the necessary skills to be able to decode harder words. HELLOOOOOO!!!! If my kid is reading at a high-school level, he's figured that one out!
    Whew... you can tell this upsets me. My son also has verbal apraxia, so his speech was completely awful in first grade (that's when they're tested with the second grade stanford) so any test based on sounds is tough for him. Then, add in that it's an oral test. This is because the kids aren't good readers at that age, for the most part, but many kids who are good readers would do much, much better on a written test where they can look at it and think about it. For them, they've been doing that for awhile and that's what they're used to.
    Thank goodness there was an ability test component (OLSAT) so my son got into gifted and has done well, but it was heart-wrenching when I saw his subscores on this at first (I forget what they were three years ago, but they were LOW). I was all stressed out until I figured out what a lame test (at least for him) it was.
    And not to totally go off... but the Stanford also has a low ceiling. My son took it the first year it changed and the differences in percetage/percentile were bizarre. On one test, he got 93% of the questions correct, and ended up in the 40-something percentile. I talked to the Director of Gifted in our district about it and apparently the percentage of kids getting all or almost all of them right was so high that getting one or two wrong could make you look like an idiot if you didn't really look at it too closely.
    Okay, done with rant... it all ended fine for me, but I have no trust at all of this test. At our school, they are taking it again in 5th grade next year and I'm dreading it.
    Interestingly enough, when my ds8 took it last year in first, I was so worried that I bought a test prep book and did that specific word study skills section. It actually took some practice for him to "get it" but my other ds (then in third grade and having just been tested at a 12th grade reading level) STILL had trouble with the phonetic analysis, especially of vowels.
    Sigh
    okay, this time I'm really done smile
    Theresa

M
    M
    haha - I said I was done, but clearly I was only kidding...
    I just had to add in re-reading your post: ds10 is and was an amazing speller. I'm not sure that spelling instruction is the issue. If you asked him to spell weigh or neighbor, he'd get it right easily. However, if you asked him to pull out the vowel part and then match it with the vowel sound in break, it was really hard for him. It just isn't something they really do, if you KWIM. I understand that they're trying all these new reading skills: chunking up the words, finding a word you know within the word, etc, etc... and this goes along with that. However, for kids who are already good spellers and readers, it's just a weird way of looking at it.
    Theresa

I
    I
    Originally Posted by momtofour
    And not to totally go off... but the Stanford also has a low ceiling. My son took it the first year it changed and the differences in percetage/percentile were bizarre. On one test, he got 93% of the questions correct, and ended up in the 40-something percentile. I talked to the Director of Gifted in our district about it and apparently the percentage of kids getting all or almost all of them right was so high that getting one or two wrong could make you look like an idiot if you didn't really look at it too closely.
    DD8 got 20 correct out of 20 possible on Reading Vocabulary and the Percentile Rank was only 94. The Normal Curve Equivalent was only 82.7. crazy

M
    M
    My daughter (4th grade) was all over the board on the Stanford 10. Math was all in the 90th percentile for National PR-S. Here is the breakdown:
    Total Reading 66-6
    Word Study Skills 29-4
    Reading Vocabulary 83-7
    Reading Comprehension 82-7

Why would they still be checking phonetic awareness in 4th grade?

My 2nd grader took the PALS test and failed miserably at the beginning of this year. The "not-very-knowledgeable" teacher recommended to the assistant principal and principal that this little girl be put back in 1st grade. Ridiculous. I asked about her DRA reading level. They were clueless. She had only started out the year in this grade for 2 weeks before the recommendation and they had not assessed her reading level. It turned out that she was reading solidly at the 2nd grade level, possibly higher since she did not get frustrated with the test they administered. Her math was on the 3rd grade level. Sometimes these schools will bulldoze right over you if you don't do your due diligence beforehand. I can't imagine telling my daughter "I know you did the work but you have to repeat the 1st grade". I hope this helps. Many gifted children also do not do well on multiple choice tests for these reasons: looking for more difficult answer (one that is not so obvious), distractions in the room, thinks outside the box (many gifted children), etc. My children typically don't do well on comprehension tests because of the "out of the box" thinking. My 2nd grader was allowed to stay but only after I requested another 2nd grade teacher. She is doing fine now.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent