Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 229 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    OP Offline
    Yeah Katelyn Sr., did your hubby get a paperbag and a trampoline for you to hyperventilate and faint into?
    It takes a hotspot for the wifi for the iphone4 webcam. We might get another laptop and one of those Internet cards. We got a calendar on new years and had the boy mark an x on it everyday last week. Yesterday we put the calendar on the kitchen table and drew large numbers 1-7 in the boxes from today to next Wednesday. The hubby told the boy "I'll be leaving tomorrow, I'll be back in 7 days". The boy said, "because you're going to work and I can call you on the phone". It's just a minor adjustment. It appears he understands. Last night he was clingy and today the hubby left for work.

In other news sugar is usually rationed around here and I left a bag of chocolate mini's on the kitchen counter. By the time I noticed the boy had a chocolate goatee and was running back and forth in the hallway. I told him to go to the bathroom and wash his face. Nothing else you can do by that point, it's already done. Took literally three hours for him to stop.

And the baby last night. Well I was trying to google savassana while she was nursing because someone here wanted a recomendation for meditation for her son. (I didn't like the narrators voices available on YouTube under savassana, so I never posted it.). The baby started singing along with the Hindu music on some yoga I was watching. I think it's cute that she sings so I put on some big voices, I turned on YouTube Dolly Parton, Olivia newton Jon, Whitney Houston that phantom of the opera girl, etc. It backfired. The baby sings loud. I tried to stop so she wouldn't wake everybody and she would cry until I turned it back on. Oh no! Cute, but spoiled. Yep. It's a girl

On the language side I can get directions, order a taco, and ask for the clearance price without using English but I don't really feel my Spanish is adequate enough to want a conversation with it. I use it with strangers some because it's expected down here, but never with my friends and neighbors because it sounds like I'm talking to a toddler con la lingua. But with the hubby gone I make little videos to text him. The boy just showed a good friend of ours a video clip of my Dixie Spanish before I realized what he was doing with my phone. !Que embarresada! (just kidding, that means pregnant). Anyway she watched it at least 3x with a goofy grin before she gave it back. My stepmom says with my kids learning Spanglish from birth I'll have my monolingual tendancies cured for me.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    L
    L
    Loving the idea of Random Chat, thought I'd just throw this one in there.
    Last night DS8 was discussing death, and in his opinion, the lack of necessity for it.
    Logic as follows:
    More people/increased population = more brain power
    More brain power = quicker and more successful technology
    More successful technology = planet exploration
    Planet exploration = planet colonization.
    PLENTY OF ROOM FOR EVERYONE:)

K
    K
    lulu -- I love it.
    Here's my random thought for the day. You know you've been following this site for too long when: Your ds5's CoGat scores come back with everything in the 97th and 98th percentile and Naglieri in the 98th percentile and your gut reaction is why are they so low? Had to kick myself over that one. He had the scores he needed to get in the school gt program so life is good.

L
    L
    I know that one too Knute ....

Glad ds is getting the placement he needs.

knute974 #92231 01/07/11 01:19 PM
    Originally Posted by knute974
    You know you've been following this site for too long when: Your ds5's CoGat scores come back with everything in the 97th and 98th percentile and Naglieri in the 98th percentile and your gut reaction is why are they so low?
    Hugs! CoGAt just doesn't seem kind to highly G kids so I'm happy he met the cutoff. DS has same reaction recently when his whole 9th grade class took the PSATs and his score was almost equal to what he got on the SATs a year ago. I reminded him that there are much fewer questions so that little mistakes count more. It's an 'occupatinal hazzard' I guess.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    OP Offline
    On the morning show they announced a thirteenth zodiac sign and a re-assignment for the rest of us. Now 'm supposed to be a pices? I don't like it. It's weepy and sensitive and takes on other peoples problems and never turns anyone away. No, no, no! I'm an Aries. Stubborn and spoiled and first in the Zodiac. I can't be a pieces. I don't even know what that is. Ooh. What about all the people that have Tatoos of their own sign or their family's signs?

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Grinity #92694 01/14/11 08:37 AM
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    What is funny to me in retrospect, is that I thought that all 4 year olds would be able to have such discussions if only all moms were as wonderful at explaining things as I am. L O L My denial of my son's giftedness was firmly in place.

I'm late to this thread, but it gave me a bit of an A-HA moment. When DS(now 9) was 15 months, he was VERY attached to nursing. At that time, I found out I was expecting my next child and had to take medication for several months that meant I had to stop nursing DS immediately. I had heard horror stories from other moms about how upset their DC were when nursing was stopped against the child's choice. I sat down on the bed with DS on my lap, and told him that this would be our last time nursing because I needed to take some medicine that could make him sick if we continued. He said "OK, Mama," contentedly nursed for the final time and never asked about it again.

At the time, I never thought about this as anything unusual. I couldn't understand why other moms didn't just talk to their kids when they decided to stop nursing. It seemed odd that their kids, many of whom were older than mine, were upset about it. In retrospect, a bit of a lightbulb has gone off.

Grinity #92696 01/14/11 08:48 AM
    Don't worry - your sign didn't change. http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/13/no-your-zodiac-sign-hasnt-changed/

What a relief!
    ((wink))
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    F
    F
    We had a very ah ha type moment last night. DD 5 is in 1st grade. She hates to do homework. I think we figure out why. Her math homework usually has between 5-15 questions and she finishes them in all of 5 minutes and her reading questions are usually around 4 (The teacher usually writes these for her because they don't have any questions for the book she's reading). She finishes her math homework in 30 seconds to 1 minute. Her reading takes her about 2-5 minutes depends on what the question wants. We finally figure out that she doesn't like to do it because it's not challenging. She works at a much higher level in both those subjects. They are working on time, counting money and greater than or less than. They've now each about 5 times and she knew it after the first time and is bored with it. Her reading, she loves to read, is reading Mouse and the Motorcycle for fun at the moment but in school they are making her read Junie B. Jones and then ask her questions such as What is one important thing that happened in Chapter 1? What's the Characters Name? I can see it when I watch her. She hates it. It's time for Parent/Teacher meetings in a week or two and my husband and I decided that we were going to talk to her teacher and pull her gifted teacher in because there has to be something better. When she's with the gifted teacher they do much harder math stuff and much harder reading questions.

No one told me that it was going to be this difficult raising a gifted child.

OP Offline
    Cool, I'll buy that. We're a tropical astrology, not an astronomical one. And it all depends on the weather. Ty. I do feel better. smile sigh of relief

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM