Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 270 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I just think you should be allowed to try stuff. And in this case there's already an unusual education history. If the mother thinks he can handle the class and she knows the school he's leaving has higher standards than the plain public school. She might be right. She might be wrong. Especially in this case because Montessori is self paced and gifted classes aren't, private schools have lower teacher:students and public schools don't. He really might sink in a public gifted class environment. The mother thinks the quantity of information in the public class won't be enough. Montessori does overkill in the amount. The gifted class could feed that sized appetite. She really needs to go talk to live people. This time it isn't just a test score it's culture shock to consider.
    To me she doesn't sound like the pushy parent who would abandon here kid into a gifted class and tell the world to change for him. She sounds to me like she'd pull him out if she turned out wrong on this. She's probably one of those parents that, "the child's needs comes first.". And she'd pull him out and homeschool him somehow, if worse come to worse. Or move to a third world country and live without water if that was somehow best for the kid. But he has unusual educational needs, an alternative education history. There is no cut and dry place for him at this point. No easy answers. She already said she's worried. This is an enigmatic choice. (did I use that word right?). Oh, Lady, if you're going to go down there. Tell them what you can about how he did in the Montessori. Was his pace fast or meticulous? (aggression and precision are both nice, which way does his scale tip?) How does he surprise you and other adults with the things he comes up with at home?
    I really like judging people and making up scenarios about them. I have an active imagination.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Oh. Dottie. I hope I didn't sound argumentative or make anyone feel bad. You are actually more knowelegable and experienced in these things than me is. I just wanted to say what I think the mother meant so maybe it would help her get her words togeather and verbalize her thoughts. I think even if I'm wrong maybe I help people a little by talking about what I think I hear them saying. But I have so many opinions I can't help but enjoy putting them into the conversation too. I liked your post. I never see much about your kid's since you're always so busy helping other people. I like your comments on your dd's classes.
    Cricket too. I'm not saying anyone's opinion's wrong. I just said what I thought about it. I have so many opinions and they always change. They can't all be right. Is anyone else reading the wizard of quarks from the quantum physics thread? Opinions are like amplitudes. They're all valid. <3

Last edited by La Texican; 12/24/10 02:57 PM. Reason: Adding cricket

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    NCmom -- there are so many posts over the years that ask this same question. For your individual situation, only you can judge which score seems most accurate. However, this is so common and so many kids score so ridiculously high on the SBV at 4 or 5 years old that I wonder whether the norms for the younger ages are just a bit off. I'm much more impressed with a 140+ score for a kid at 8 than I am for a 150+ score for a kid at 4 or 5. I think even if the norms were perfect, there is much variability still occurring and reshuffling of order that leads to big changes for many kids. IQ scores are not stable for 4 or 5 yo on any test and the SBV seems particularly unstable in that age group. Some kids who score 150 at 5 will also score 150 at 8, but many will not which leads to confusion and frustration for parents.

I like Dottie's idea that time and multiple sources of evidence reveals the most about a kid rather than any one particular score. Achievement testing might help you get a better sense. If the scores are 130-140ish, then the "truth" might be somewhere in the middle or closer to the later score. If the AT scores are wildly PG, then maybe the first test is more accurate. If what you see every day is obviously PG, then maybe the first test is more accurate.

It helps to remember that scores are quite fallible and personality and drive may determine academic needs more than test scores. A kid may test wildly PG and not require dramatic educational changes while another kid may test more moderately and need radical acceleration. If your son needs a different educational environment, then I'd address that need no matter what the test says.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by kaibab
    NCmom -- However, this is so common and so many kids score so ridiculously high on the SBV at 4 or 5 years old that I wonder whether the norms for the younger ages are just a bit off. I'm much more impressed with a 140+ score for a kid at 8 than I am for a 150+ score for a kid at 4 or 5.

I think it is a bit of a myth that there are "many kids" who are 4 or 5 and scoring 150 plus on SB5. My dd was tested by one of the best known testers of gifted kids in the US, she only uses SB5 for IQ testing and she had at that time, precisely 2 kids score in the 150s on SB5. My dd did scored in the 150s on SB5 at 5 and whilst I am no testing expert, the score seems to fit the kid that I deal with.

Back to the OP, I think you need to decide what score feels right to you. Was your DC having a good day? Did he rush the test? What did the tester say?

N
    OP Offline
    N
    First, thank you so very much for all your feedback. I'm very thankful there is a forum like this.

His 131 score doesn't allow him to enter the special gifted school lottery. And with less than wonderful results this year from our current school that we can barely afford, we're looking at other options.

DS was recovering from Strep when taking the test and Dr. was rushing out the door to another appt. after the test...although, I don't think that accounted for such a change. He is probably somewhere in between the two scores. The Dr. said that test for 8 yr. olds is just that much less forgiving than for 5 yr.olds. With all that said, we (DH, I, and Dr.) decided to try another test (WISC?) next week. It will statify our minds at the very least. I'm not overly concerned about "the number", but realize it helps when trying to get accomodations.

Whatever the outcome, we will do all we can to be sure he gets an education that supports him intellectually and emotionally smile No need to rush him through any curriculum, just want him to be an environment that's right for him (a really smart, kinda lazy kid...but that's another post! wink

Cathy
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    Hello,
    Just wanted to follow up from my original post...looks like there have been a lot of views and wanted to follow up should our experience help someone out there smile

My DS took the WISC IV last week and ended up with 147 FSIQ (Verbal Comp 155, Percep Reas 139, Working memory 129, processing speed 121). Compared to the 131 on the SB V, the tester mentioned she doesn't see this difference often. A couple of areas on the SBV that aren't covered on the WISC may have contributed to the difference. He also took the WIAT III and are awaiting final report, but said he aced language/reading and got about 93% on math. We are now in the lottery for the gifted charter school smile And at the very least, be able to participate in the gifted program in the public school. Homeschool of some sort is also on the table.

Just a side note about Montessori. It has many wonderful aspects...but be careful about the "move ahead at their own pace" claim. To an extent it's true, but when you have 29 kids in a class, you still have to wait your turn for the next lesson...usually much longer than necessary for a gifted kid that doesn't need weeks of follow up time.

Cathy
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs