Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 371 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    E
    elh0706 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    LOL Grinity, thank you for that dialog. I will print it out for my meeting folder and see if I can work it in! The interesting thing is that we do have a monetary reward system in place at home and it is not helping one bit!

This is our first year in Middle School. And I think that most of the 6th grade teachers have not been formally exposed to Twice Exceptional learners. Seriously, the only action I want for him is to be able to have 1 folder for all his homework. But some homework has to be in the front of the binder, some at the back and some loose to turn in. He is not allowed to carry anything with him except the school assigned binders (we have to buy very specific ones to meet the rules) and his textbooks.

I honestly can't say that the school is bad or incapable of attempting to meet his needs. DH reminded me over lunch, that DS has set new precedents every year in this school. 3rd grade, he was put in the gifted program even though he didn't meet their rules on the advice of the his private psychiatrist. 4th grade, he was the first person subject skipped to 5th grade math. 5th grade, he did 100% independent study math. 6th grade, he is doing compacted independent study math in the 7th grade classroom. Maybe for 6th grade we can also set the precedent to use a folder/binder that works for him.

Go DH! That is a great perspective to take! But LOL that this is such a big deal! See if you can get that private psychiatrist to write a note about how important it is to allow DS to deviate from the organizational plan. I wish I could find a similar binder to that favorite one, but this one might do the trick as well -
    http://tekgems.com/Products/et-56522-car-scmo-3-blu.htm

I would just cut out the extra flaps so that there is only 'homework to do' and 'homework to hand in'
    DS also liked a third section for 'homework that isn't due tomorrow'

Good luck!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    K
    K
    My sister-in-law fought the designated binder and planner issue in middle school. Ultimately, she won them over by proposing a one week trial using her daughter's preferred system. Her DD showed significant improvement during that week and was allowed to keep using her system.

Another thought, any chance that he could turn in assignments electronically, i.e. scan and email to teacher, thus eliminating the paper issue?

Good luck fighting the well-intentioned, but flawed, system.

J
    J
    So this is where I was way back when and where DS7 will be in a few years. I don't care how many times I have reminded him his lunch money is in the lunch money spot, it still takes several days to get to the lunch lady AND that's only after he has called me to tell me his account is at $0. My initial question is always "did you look in the lunch money spot?". And his answer is always "no". And it's ALWAYS there.

I, on the other hand, have lists of lists of lists about making lists of all the things I need to make lists of... I try to keep the papers from coming out of my purse/drawers, but no such luck. I try to keep manuals with other manuals but often find the camera manual in the drawer by my bed, and the crock pot manual in the file labeled "manuals".

Since starting medicine for ADD/ADHD, it has become better... for me. But I do not want DS7 on meds if I can help it. Now ask me what I do for a living... that's right, I'm the one that keeps this place going, organized and create the processes to make things happen.

Maybe it's executive function issues. Maybe it's just being "us"... but very interesting post and another issue to research for me. smile

M
    M
    Originally Posted by BWBShari
    I would love to find binders with an accordian in front! Any idea where you got them Grins?
    I've got DS a 2-inch-ring Case-It binder with zipper and carrying handle from Amazon. It has the accordian on the left when you open the binder. HTH

C
    C
    I remember having a Trapper Keeper in middle school and thinking I was really cool and organized. I don't think they make them anymore, but I wish my daughter had one.

Warning: sleep deprived
    [quote=knute974
    Another thought, any chance that he could turn in assignments electronically, i.e. scan and email to teacher, thus eliminating the paper issue? [/quote]

Ooh, I like this idea! Hi5 to Knute!

J
    J
    Originally Posted by Chrys
    I remember having a Trapper Keeper in middle school and thinking I was really cool and organized. I don't think they make them anymore, but I wish my daughter had one.

They make them still!!

I remember getting a new one each year, starting out organized, and ending up keeping it shoved in my locker somewhere. *sigh*

My daughter was so disorganized for so many years. We worked with planners and other ways to organize. Suddenly, when she turned thirteen, she began keeping track. She keeps no list or planner, but keeps track in her head.

She sets an alarm for herself and gets everything done on time. This must have been a brain function. However, working on it probably made it a priority in her life.

Now, if we could deal with her having a boyfriend. This has been a major transition.

Originally Posted by elh0706
    Executive Function and Middle School:

...This child of ours has an IEP that says he needs help with organization and that he cannot at this time demonstrate the same level of executive function as is expected for his age. We asked that he be allowed to carry 1 binder instead of 6 to class each day. The core teacher team felt this was enabling his problems and that they hoped he would want to be like the rest of the students. ...In reality, my son is exhibiting many signs of stress from headaches and stomach aches every morning, to uncontrolled shaking when it is time to get on the bus. After school, he is moody, angry withdrawn and tired. Any mention of school sparks an emotional outburst. However, he does his homework without argument, puts it in the binders and into his backpack. So far this quarter he has missed 4 homework assignments. The marking period ends the end of January.
    How r the aches?

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM