Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    S
    S
    I wouldn't rule out a grade skip either. I don't know if sports is an issue & I know TX is supposedly big on red-shirting, but DS was young too. He started K at 5 (turned 5 in June) and ended up skipping. We worried about the age too but he's in 4th now & doing great academically. Socially he has some buddies and is happy. He still needs challenges though but it's not as bad as it might have been.

A
    OP Offline
    A
    Thank you all for the support. I talk to his GT teacher tomorrow. I might also stop in and talk to the counselor. Thanks again!

Amber

Amber,

To be a successful advocate, you probably will come off as a pushy parent. Ask that he be tested and ask for what he needs. If you spend any time on here you will read lots of stories about people who not only had to push, but push hard and for extended periods.
    The key to success is knowing the law in your state, and knowledge about the educational needs of gifted kids. It can be done but in most cases it really is "the squeaky wheel" that gets results.
    My son is grade skipped 4 years with further acceleration in math. This is a state that has nothing in place to take care of GT kids. So hang in, be pushy and vent right here any time you need to!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    I spoke to DS' GT teacher yesterday. She said he is right on target where he needs to be and accelerating in areas in her class. She told me he was a very bright kid,a nd she really feels that the GT program is where he needs to be to enjoy school.

She told me a few stories that gave me some insight. First, I already knew, DS is still young. He's still immature. He is going to test his boundaries to see how far he can push the adults around him. Also, he feels like he has to prove something. She said when he got up to do a presentation on a project they were doing, he got shy and started acting silly, talking really soft, and all in all pretty much clammed up. Not so much he felt intimidated, he did the presentation, but he got shy (my kid shy?! seriously??)

She told me that for a young first grader, in his first year of GT, and being noticed as a gifted child, he is exactly where he needs to be with everything from behavior, to learning, to overcomming his shyness.

They have SEVERAL words they use in the class, that he would have never seen outside of the program. They see these words every day and in their projects they have to do these things (elaborate, transform, and several others)

Overall I was very pleased with the conversation we had, and that he is infact benifiting from the program.

Last edited by AmberJewelCR; 11/18/10 09:00 AM.
    I'm glad to hear that the GT teacher was able to give you information that helped you feel comfortable. That's great!

I'm confused now:
    Is this the same teacher who gives him 'elementary' homework? How much time does he spend with the GT teacher and how much time does he spend with the 'elementary' homework teacher?

Anyway - I'm hoping that better homework is coming!
    Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    No, his GT (or qwest) teacher does not give him homework yet. They have several projects that they do in class, but no homework yet. They have a huge project coming up that will require work at home. He hasn't really had any homework since I spoke to his regular teacher! smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM