Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 441 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    DS7 didn't make up his mind until he was 5. He did everything fairly equally.... Don't see any brain damage here! (unless it's mine)LOL

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    DD appears to be left handed (she's 21 months). At times she's ambidextrous but then she always reverts back to her left hand. I did see on wikipedia, though, that left-handed/ambidextrous adults seemed to have had stressful births when they were born (as was the case for DD...).

Originally Posted by Katelyn'sM om
    I have often wondered why we in the gifted community pick up on the changes more than the average child's parents and I think it might do with the fact that our children are doing such advanced stuff at such an early age. BTW: I monitored my DD after reading that article and it was true. Every major milestone she completed she would switch hand preference. And my DD was writing before she was a year old so it was very noticeable when she made that switch.

I think because we can't turn our brains off. wink From even before DD was born I had to research everything, look up what milestones to expect, what behaviors or common etc. I remember being so frustrated that more studies weren't done to better understand infant development. It's not like I had a ton of spare time either (I was finishing up my doctorate) but it was just too interesting, I had to research it.

P
    P
    Which direction is her hair whorl? (speaking of things to research). Lefties and ambidextrous people often have it going counter-clockwise (which is otherwise uncommon, most hair whorls rotate clockwise).

Polly

C
    C
    As for brain damage ... I have actually heard that before but can't place why or what they are referring to. I'm going to have to research that one. But as cricket pointed out, your child is still kind of young to classify as left, right or ambidextrous. It is usually around age 4.
    Some years ago, there were a couple of studies that showed left-handedness to be linked with prenatally exposure to ultrasound (and this was suggested as the reason for the general rise in prevalence of left-handedness). At the time, there were certainly suggestions that left-handedness was a sign of early stress of some kind in gestation. As I understand it, though, the link didn't stand up to later attempts at replication, and was probably due to chance. I think the current consensus is that genetic factors are overwhelmingly the most important in determining handedness, and that the apparent rise in prevalence of left-handedness is probably purely because of greater acceptance of it now.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    G
    gargi Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G

G
    gargi Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G

G
    gargi Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    I found 2 of the above articles which say ambidextrous may be bad. Where as the wikipedia says this can be an advatage in sports etc and doesn't say anything about any kind of problems.

Now my DD is three years and 3 months old. Her doctor also says she might have dominant hand by the time she is 4 or 5. She also said most children have a dominant hand by the time they are 2 years old.

I have often wondered why we in the gifted community pick up on the changes more than the average child's parents and I think it might do with the fact that our children are doing such advanced stuff at such an early age. BTW: I monitored my DD after reading that article and it was true. Every major milestone she completed she would switch hand preference. And my DD was writing before she was a year old so it was very noticeable when she made that switch.

I agree...Most children don't write at this age so difficult to tell if they use both hands.

So who's in their right mind, the right handers or the left handers?

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    G
    gargi Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Yes cricket it was very helpful. I don't have any other concerns with her. I don't worry about ADHD neither do I see any behavioural problems. I think it's best for me to stop worrying now and just keep watching her. You also helped me understand the articles very well . Thank You smile

G
    gargi Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by Polly
    Which direction is her hair whorl? (speaking of things to research). Lefties and ambidextrous people often have it going counter-clockwise (which is otherwise uncommon, most hair whorls rotate clockwise).

Polly

Her hair whorls clickwise ..Probably it does mean she will eventually be right handed.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM