Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 311 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Well people try drastic things after the doctors say there's no hope. I had a friend die of brain cancer. After the doctors said they could not do anything more for him he tried some kind of mistletoe remedy. I'm sorry. This hits close to home if you're worried about your father. Speaking of which, sorry. It's um. Try to get your house in order, mentally. It's possible to throw away your future in a time of shock and despair. Not now, but when (if) they pass on while you're trying to finish college. I had a friend who's parents died when she was in her 20s and she left school and lost it for a while. If you're parents are trying to prepare you maybe it's really happening. I keep reading here that there are psychologists that specialize in gifted therapy. I mean, I don't know you. But if you think your parents are going to die while you're so young and trying to finish college I hope you would consider enlisting a counselor to help you hold it togeather. Especially since your best friend is over seas.
    I'm really glad you came back to talk.
    You can hang out and be a virtual auntie to the kids we're trying to raise here.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    A
    ACh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by La Texican
    Well people try drastic things after the doctors say there's no hope. I had a friend die of brain cancer. After the doctors said they could not do anything more for him he tried some kind of mistletoe remedy. I'm sorry. This hits close to home if you're worried about your father. Speaking of which, sorry. It's um. Try to get your house in order, mentally. It's possible to throw away your future in a time of shock and despair. Not now, but when (if) they pass on while you're trying to finish college. I had a friend who's parents died when she was in her 20s and she left school and lost it for a while. If you're parents are trying to prepare you maybe it's really happening. I keep reading here that there are psychologists that specialize in gifted therapy. I mean, I don't know you. But if you think your parents are going to die while you're so young and trying to finish college I hope you would consider enlisting a counselor to help you hold it togeather. Especially since your best friend is over seas.
    I'm really glad you came back to talk.
    You can hang out and be a virtual auntie to the kids we're trying to raise here.

I don't think there's going to be a problem regarding anyone dying in undergrad, and were one of my parents going to die any time soon I'd probably enlist the help of a therapist (and regardless I'm the sort of person who sticks with what they need to do even in the event of tragedy).

Although bizarrely my parents talk a lot these days about wills and it unsettles me.

I was just a little worried with the talk of wills and your dad's health and stuff. Even people who are usually salt of the earth granite crack sometimes when it gets traumatic.
    On a lighter note I'm pleasantly surprised by all the groups listed in this thread. I might google them later.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    A
    ACh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Val
    I think it might help to look at the larger cultural context.

K-12 students are constantly assailed by messages telling them that College is the route to higher earnings! The news media, educational establishment, and even the political establishment all send this message. Many parents say the same thing (I've even seen it pop up on this board on occasion).

These days, college isn't seen as a place where you go because you're bright and you want to learn stuff. It's seen as a route to earning more money than you would otherwise. Crass, but unfortunately, reality.

You can't really blame people for buying into this message given that it's ubiquitous and apparently true.* You also can't really blame people for not having an IQ as high as yours. They can't change who they are or how they were born.

If you think differently than more than 99% of the population, you need to make a different kind of effort at finding people who think like you. For example, google the Prometheus Society or the Triple Nine society.

Val

*I say apparently because the issue is more subtle than having a BA or not. Talented people tend to earn more because they're better at solving problems, not necessarily because they have a BA. For example, a person who's a really, really good electrician will probably earn more without a BA than he'd earn with a BA if he was, say, a marketing manager of average ability. Someone without a BA who learned programming in the Army might be a better software developer than someone else with a BA who's just average (or above...). It all depends.

I don't think this is the case, fortunately.

While I swear most of my classmates have the brains of a slime mold (and I unfortunately just insulted slime molds), I think they're there, as far as I've gathered, to learn and grow, which is what I believe college's primary purpose is and should be for, if you haven't figured that fact out already. I value my studies, especially in biology - which I consider more than just a 'career'; it is what I have devoted my life to and what I have made my purpose, and I value everything I know, and I value learning, period. I am very lucky that I was born into a family that has graduate degrees - otherwise I'd probably be so despondent about life I'd have killed myself.

This generation is, I'd say, more alright than its parents - a lot of their folks seem to look at college as a place to learn and grow. Perhaps some of them either don't remember their college years or are somehow resentful of their children's experiences.

Last edited by ACh; 10/05/10 04:55 AM.
    ACh, after reading this thread and your previous one, I had the following impressions:

1. You seem a little full of yourself, in the sense of being smug about your intelligence. I fell into the same trap long ago, although I am much better now. Such a sense of superiority may come from low self esteem, and in my case it did. My advice: most people, including the cowy masses at your school, should appreciate your intelligence if you're nice and not pushy about it; but the inverse is also pretty much true, with some differences (e.g. some capable people might cut an obviously capable though pushy person some slack). Some of your classmates have probably picked up on your attitude towards them, unless you've hid it extremely well.

2. You seem to be too eager to impress others with your intelligence. Your writing style comes off as a bit flighty or nervous, but I think this is mostly because your word, phrasing and sentence-structure choices are designed with the total message in mind: you want us to know that you are quirky, have a decent vocabulary, etc. My advice: relax. smile You don't have to work to make people like you, and trying too hard to appear intelligent generally isn't the right way if you do decide to work at it. You also don't have to worry about convincing anyone here that you're smart.

3. People are not worthless or beneath you simply because they are less intelligent. Intelligence has a flexible definition in the first place, as you must know. You have surely enjoyed some products of people who would have scored well below you on intelligence tests; this might include books, movies, food, and a thousand other fruits of human labor. A good number of those people would actually perform better than you on at least some real-world tasks. Some of them would also score higher than you on one test or another; that doesn't make you a lesser being either.

4. If you are really having trouble coping with lesser ability in others, or different viewpoints (which often include some sort of prejudice or another), I suggest changing so that you are a less irritable person. It sounds to me like simply making a conscious choice to adopt a different attitude for a while might work fine; other options might include therapy to address some of these issues. You'll have a happier life if you can appreciate the good in others, instead of focusing on what you perceive to be bad; you might even notice a lot of good that way that you would have missed otherwise.

ETA: I think no5no5's dogs-and-silverware comment is a good one. I would add that if you've ever liked a dog, or any other being that's less smart than you, you can eventually see your way clear to liking some people who are less smart than you.

Last edited by Iucounu; 10/05/10 08:09 AM.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    A
    ACh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Iucounu
    ACh, after reading this thread and your previous one, I had the following impressions:

1. You seem a little full of yourself, in the sense of being smug about your intelligence. I fell into the same trap long ago, although I am much better now. Such a sense of superiority may come from low self esteem, and in my case it did. My advice: most people, including the cowy masses at your school, should appreciate your intelligence if you're nice and not pushy about it; but the inverse is also pretty much true, with some differences (e.g. some capable people might cut an obviously capable though pushy person some slack). Some of your classmates have probably picked up on your attitude towards them, unless you've hid it extremely well.

Actually, I don't even say a word to them most of the time. I just keep to myself and get my stuff done. If asked for help, I help. 'Pushy' is about the opposite of what I am.

2. You seem to be too eager to impress others with your intelligence. Your writing style comes off as a bit flighty or nervous, but I think this is mostly because your word, phrasing and sentence-structure choices are designed with the total message in mind: you want us to know that you are quirky, have a decent vocabulary, etc. My advice: relax. smile You don't have to work to make people like you, and trying too hard to appear intelligent generally isn't the right way if you do decide to work at it. You also don't have to worry about convincing anyone here that you're smart.

In part, this is pretty unconscious for me, sentence-structure-wise. I'm not sure where you see the flighty or nervous, though. I really don't like the idea of consciously making myself sound dumber or less confident or less straightforward about what I'm saying.

3. People are not worthless or beneath you simply because they are less intelligent. Intelligence has a flexible definition in the first place, as you must know. You have surely enjoyed some products of people who would have scored well below you on intelligence tests; this might include books, movies, food, and a thousand other fruits of human labor. A good number of those people would actually perform better than you on at least some real-world tasks. Some of them would also score higher than you on one test or another; that doesn't make you a lesser being either.

4. If you are really having trouble coping with lesser ability in others, or different viewpoints (which often include some sort of prejudice or another), I suggest changing so that you are a less irritable person. It sounds to me like simply making a conscious choice to adopt a different attitude for a while might work fine; other options might include therapy to address some of these issues. You'll have a happier life if you can appreciate the good in others, instead of focusing on what you perceive to be bad; you might even notice a lot of good that way that you would have missed otherwise.

ETA: I think no5no5's dogs-and-silverware comment is a good one. I would add that if you've ever liked a dog, or any other being that's less smart than you, you can eventually see your way clear to liking some people who are less smart than you.

But the dog's a dog. The dog's not a human being. One has standards for human beings.

My mother and my father have both scored a bit below me on intelligence tests. Does this mean I don't respect them? No. Likewise with many others in my life who have done so as well but who continue to teach me many things.

It's a little more nuanced than this. My beef is largely with the more average whose combination of illogic and various other mental gymnastics they do makes them do things that it would take actual conscious effort for me to screw up.

... take, for example, people who deny their children medical treatment for various reasons, people who perpetrate or perpetuate genocides and other violence (a great example of how bad it gets in some places is chronicled in the blog Other Things Amanzi - http://other-things-amanzi.blogspot.com/ - where this kind of crud is commonplace, people who use religion as a justification for various human rights abuses - or really anything else, including their own homophobia or racism or sexism or anything else, people whose own willful ignorance digs them into financial holes, people who are simply too unable to learn to dig themselves out of things, and other people who hurt others either directly or indirectly due to their own lack of brains. The list of iniquities visited upon humanity is long and being continually written and it grates.

Val Offline
    I'm honestly not sure what you're looking for here. You seem to have made up your mind --- instead of question marks in your posts, I'm seeing a lot of judgmental statements.

So are you just looking for an audience --- rather than the opinions of others and possibly a new perspective?

Val

H
    H
    Do you do anything fun beside school?

You can always have non-academics fun with your ND classmates.

Originally Posted by ACh
    Somehow, doing this only strikes me as 'Deny it and the pain'll go away'. It doesn't seem like it respects the facts.

And I strive to know reality, no matter whether it is as great as unicorn farts or as cruddy as world genocide.

An anthropologist does not try to change the objects of their observation or bring in extraneous topics.

Originally Posted by ACh
    It's a little more nuanced than this. My beef is largely with the more average whose combination of illogic and various other mental gymnastics they do makes them do things that it would take actual conscious effort for me to screw up.

Anyone can develop and test hypotheses and then build a library of hypotheses that have been tested not been falsified.

Accordingly, IQ has little to do with the ability to think clearly and logically. People of humble origins and means develop some amazing knowledge and use it in amazing ways.

And on the contrary, smart people just come up with more imaginative ways to fool themselves and others.

Last edited by Austin; 10/05/10 02:28 PM.
    A
    ACh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Val
    I'm honestly not sure what you're looking for here. You seem to have made up your mind --- instead of question marks in your posts, I'm seeing a lot of judgmental statements.

So are you just looking for an audience --- rather than the opinions of others and possibly a new perspective?

Val

I do value the feedback and have actually taken a good bit of time to think about it, but some of it I take and some of it I leave.

Originally Posted by HelloBaby
    Do you do anything fun beside school?

You can always have non-academics fun with your ND classmates.

Honestly, I spend a lot of my fun time of ANY sort alone and I don't mind that at all. It's how I recharge.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM