Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 121 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #86451 10/02/10 02:49 PM
    L
    lulu Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Here's a new one for me.
    DS9 is in a full time GT class that stays with one teacher except for Math and Specials.
    Yesterday, for the first time ever, DS hadn't done all his Math homework (until this point he had always done all of his homework on time) as writing it down from the chalkboard he had missed the second part. He did complete the half he had down. If homework is not turned in on time 10% of a grade is deducted. Fine. However yesterday he not only had to take this deduction, but was also removed from the classroom to sit in the corridor outside for the entire lesson. DS9 is very well behaved in school and motivated to do well. He is forgetful at times (not officially diagnosed ADD but quite likely), but he takes extra strides to compensate for this. He is absolutely mortified that this happened, especially as kids from other classes walked by and made comments. Am I seriously being over protective in thinking this is just not right? I'm sure he'll recover - that resilience kid's have, but I'm mad as anything!

Poor little guy. I would be furious too. I agree that he had to take the deduction...but sitting out in the corridor? Wow, I thought that ended back in the 70's! I personally think you are right to be mad. Nan

T
    T
    Try talking or emailing the teacher. If 10% deduction is the norm, then why was he sent to the corridor? It sounds like there might be something missing to this. Has your son seen any other children removed from class because of homework?

L
    lulu Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Yes, I'm considering sending an e-mail. Apparently at least one other child has been removed but I understand that with him there are bigger issues of work not getting done. I agree too that it sounds like there should be more to this, but honestly we've just had his conference and his grades are all fine too.

Last edited by lulu; 10/02/10 04:15 PM.
    M
    M
    Personally, I think that the teacher's response is way over the top. Honestly, I'm a little suprised about the grading. At our school, homework isn't graded, because some kids can have parents correct and explain, and others can't. I can understand a completion/effort grade, but not much more than that. I guess I just don't get the hoopla if a kid occasionally forgets. They like to say that they're preparing kids for the real world, but in the real world, people are behind schedule all the time. I understand that you can get fired in the real world, but no one gets fired for the occasional mistake and I wish school were the same. Sure, if it's the third time this week, make them stay in from recess and do homework, or lower their grade, or call the parents... but if it's the first time and his effort and grades are good, cut the kid some slack!!
    Now, the only thing I did think of was if they were reviewing homework and for some reason this was worth a high grade, and she didn't want your son to hear the answers... well, then maybe. But again, it's HOMEwork - you or dh could help him, or he could look it up on the computer.
    I just think that they're asking for a level of maturity that is hard to come by in a 9 year old. 9-year-olds occasionally forget, or write something down wrong. No matter how intellectually smart this group is, they need to be treated as kids (and not embarrassed either!!)
    Theresa

D
    D
    It's certainly fair to ask the teacher for an account of what happened and an explanation. I cannot imagine any way in which removing him facilitates his learning; he would be missing more material, which only increases the likelihood of further undone work.

DeeDee

R
    R
    I agree with Dee Dee.

Have there been any more 'incidents' with this "teacher"?

Last edited by Raddy; 10/02/10 11:54 PM.
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    It's certainly fair to ask the teacher for an account of what happened and an explanation. I cannot imagine any way in which removing him facilitates his learning; he would be missing more material, which only increases the likelihood of further undone work.

DeeDee

I agree. Unless kids are being disruptive, they shouldn't be removed from the room IMHO.

It sounds to me like this teacher has serious problems with appropriate use of discipline, even if your kid has not told you the whole story. I can't think of any situation where making the kid sit in the hall and miss class time is an appropriate response. Unless it's a disruptive behavioral issue so serious that . . . well, that she should be doing something else, like talking to the parents. So really, I can't think of any situation where this is okay.

Thank goodness this is not the full-time gifted teacher! I would talk to the teacher, as a first step, but this may be something that needs to be taken to the principal.

L
    lulu Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks for all the input. It's good to know that I'm not alone thinking that this isn't o.k. as it stands. As to other instances, not that DS has mentioned.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM