Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 401 guests, and 45 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    N
    N
    Originally Posted by Cricket2
    I guess that I have been under the assumption (somewhat fed by the "experts") that PG kids don't have ND parents. I could see a MG/PG mix within a family or a ND/MG mix, but a Little Man Tate situation isn't something I've honestly expected to happen as frequently as I see being presented online.

It is possible that my parents and DH's parents are all MG, though my dad claims that he's been tested and is just about average. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if my mom was MG, but I very much doubt that either of DH's parents are anything other than ND. They seem pretty run-of-the-mill to me. But (and I hope this doesn't sound awful) perhaps I just really can't tell the difference between ND and MG people. At any rate, none of them have college degrees, and all are working-class. smile

Do you all think that writing things like "mute point" or "persay" (per se) could be due to dyslexia or just being a bad speller if they happen over and over?

With dyslexia you'd rather expect them to be spelled differently each time. But I also think that these words, though misspelled according to the dictionary, might not be misspelled according to the circles in which some highly intelligent but uneducated parents might travel.

C
    C
    I guess that I have been under the assumption (somewhat fed by the "experts") that PG kids don't have ND parents. I could see a MG/PG mix within a family or a ND/MG mix, but a Little Man Tate situation isn't something I've honestly expected to happen as frequently as I see being presented online.
    Most people - even most very intelligent very well educated people! - have startlingly poor understanding of statistics. Something I've seen stated repeatedly even here is that siblings usually have IQs within 10 points of one another - nothing wrong with that as a statement, but it gets used with the implication that if you have one child who has tested with some IQ then if your next child tests more than 10 points below that then the test must be wrong. Frankly, this is statistical nonsense so many ways that I hardly know where to start. (If you think about it, we collectively have plenty of experience even of the very same child testing more than 10 points apart on different occasions, so why we should be surprised at a child's sibling testing more than 10 points away from them, I cannot imagine). I think the root cause is a strong cultural tendency in the US to believe in the entity theory of intelligence - almost everyone here appears to believe at core - even if they deny it when they think about it - that there is a fact of the matter about what a child's "real" IQ is and that that number tells you something permanent about the child. Everyone should read Dweck. (Can you tell I've been out to a congenial argumentative bookclub tonight and had several glasses of wine, lol?)

Do you all think that writing things like "mute point" or "persay" (per se) could be due to dyslexia or just being a bad speller if they happen over and over?
    Yes. I'm thinking of a dyslexic person I know well who can make that kind of mistake. She wouldn't self-correct in the way that a non-dyslexic person might - e.g., noticing "per se" and realising that that's the same phrase as what they've been spelling "persay" - because the kind of attention she can pay to the written material isn't the kind of attention where she'd notice that kind of detail. It's as if all her attention goes on getting the gist of the text.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    G
    G
    I can spell well, but I don't type well, so my posts on boards like this are full of errors. I'm not particularly pedantic about checking my posts before I hit submit as it just isn't that important to me that everything I write is perfect (I have better things to spend my time on). As long as my message is conveyed and readable I'm not concerned. Sometimes I'll go back and edit my post if I find something that bugs me a lot in the post, but otherwise I'm not bothered.
    I think there are countless reasons why people make errors in their posts and not all of them are linked to intelligence. I'd hold back on the judgements personally.

An unsophistcated mother's reply: �
    My conversational contributions are often contradictory or confusing coupled with inconsistencies and errors.�
    My mother would come off sounding better through her hesitation and self-conscious self-censoring. �She's not gifted or if she is she's only barely so, the gifted genes are from my dad's side. �At some point when I was telling someone that as a child I sounded like an encyclopedia or a concordance with perfect grammar and excellent manners (what happened?!) �
    What does this mean for my kids? �The midwife who delivers for me laughed and said after nine months of seeing my three year old lately "he's going to be a genius but not a nerd". � �Could I sound intelligent again? �Who knows. �People end up figuring it out anyway if they spend too much time with me. �As for advocacy "Persistence overcomes resistance". �

Yay! For the mommy brains and the compassionate intelligent posters who live on this forum. �

Also, I've said I'm sure my son is PG since slightly after he was born. �And not only have I not had him tested he doesn't match all the milestones online. �Like he's never done a jigsaw puzzle, he doesn't speak elegantly. �I'm still sure he's "way up there" and other people keep telling me so. �PG runs in my dad's family (unbeknownst to my single mom) �and I was id'd as a teenager (not just extremely smart, huh?). ��

Anyway I just read an article linked here from Psychology Today�that said the "gifted" label is all in how it affects the child. �Some children enjoy the label as praise, acknowledgement, and encouragement. �They go on and try a little harder and do a little more. �Some children get anxiety and self-image issues from the "gifted" label and are afraid they can't live up to it. �

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    That's why I love it here.
    Grinnity says, "Genius is as genuis does". (sic lol)
    Dottie says "The proof is in the data over time."
    You can just look for the advice and for the solutions that work well right now.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by Tall boys
    I would like to thank you for posting this thread. It gave me time to reflect on past and present problems, instead of pure avoidance. As I look at it face on, maybe I can find a place I'm comfortable with in me.

Thanks for allowing me, to see me. smile
    I'm glad that something about this thread is beneficial to you although I don't know what -- lol! I did want to reiterate that none of this came up in relation to anything I've seen anyone posting on this board and that I am not at all questioning the assessments of children that parents post on this board. It does seem that the ambiance here attracts parents whose kids probably are HG+ or at least those of us whose kids aren't HG+ recognize that and are upfront about it.

I am working on self examination and making an effort to ascertain if I am being judgemental which is why I posted this.

N
    N
    I am working on self examination and making an effort to ascertain if I am being judgemental which is why I posted this.

I think it makes sense to take what you read on BBs at face value, but also not to swallow hook, line, and sinker. I've had some practice suspending judgment, because unfortunately that is also how I have to deal with every single thing my sister tells me. In the end, what difference does it really make if they're right or wrong or honest or dishonest? You just respond as though it's true.

Originally Posted by gratefulmom
    However, I have my share of judgments that I have to work on. �For example, it drives me a little nuts when people claim their children "read at XX grade level" without any testing verifications just because they can read a sentence out of a higher level book. �As most of us realize, true reading level/comp. is about MUCH more than the ability to read a sentence out loud. I suspect a lot of parents are going to be surprised when they get into school standards testing. �;) �

It's because their kids learned Sesame Street Phonics.

A
    A
    I am most definitely not gifted, yet I have a much better vocabulary and command of the written word than my spouse who is brilliant. I have no idea what his IQ is, because it's never been officially tested. When I was practicing administering the Raven's test for my job, I practiced on him. He answered all the problems correctly and started making up his own. And yet his spelling is abysmal on a good day, and I've sold hundreds upon hundreds of articles to a plethora of publications.

Spelling and command of the written word is sometimes just a gift, not a sign of intelligence - at least on the gifted level.

T
    T
    Is comparing intelligence and education a fair thing?

I have met many very intelligent people who, for some reason or another, received limited education.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM