Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 434 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #84935 09/13/10 11:30 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Just wanted to give an update on DS8 (DYS - no grade skip). The 3rd grade teachers are using Susan Winebrenner's methods to try to meet his needs, and also offer more differentiation to all the above-grade level kids in the grade.

Spelling is one of DS's strengths. Last week, he came home with his first differentiated spelling list. He will need to practice about 1/2 of them to get them correct on this week's test. Prior to this, he's only had 2-3 spelling words since he started school that he didn't already know. He also had to look up definitions and parts of speech for each word. It was both sad and beautiful to see him frustrated as he tried to spell each word the first time and realize he didn't already know them and had to LEARN them (even though that does come quickly), and then going through the process of looking them up in the dictionary.

DS cried a bit as he made mistakes, and I tried to keep it light by making jokes here and there, and explaining that you want work that isn't easy -- that's what learning is.

I know this is only a baby step, but DS was so proud that he'd learned something at school. When he was finished, he even called his grandmother to tell her how his teacher must be the best 3rd grade teacher ever because she expects her students to learn things that are hard. :-)

Mama22Gs #84939 09/13/10 11:57 AM
    I don't think it's sad. He's got to learn to take mistakes in stride, and it's just evidence that they are approaching the right level of material for him. What a great story.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    Mama22Gs #84941 09/13/10 12:07 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks lucounu. I agree that it's EXACTLY what he needs. As a parent, it was hard to see him frustrated and crying, but my overall feelings were relief, hope and pride. Relief because it seems that his teacher gets it, hope because it is the first evidence that DS may really get challenged at school this year, and pride because while DS did get frustrated, he stuck with it and ended up feeling proud of himself and hoping for more work at this level.

What I think will be REALLY funny is when I hear from the parents of the other kids who earned the opportunity to have this more challenging work by passing the pre-test. DS spent more than an hour finishing two nights worth of spelling work. I'm not sure the other parents will appreciate the additional load. From our point of view, though, we are pleased as punch!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations