Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Mama22Gs A first step - 09/13/10 06:30 PM
Just wanted to give an update on DS8 (DYS - no grade skip). The 3rd grade teachers are using Susan Winebrenner's methods to try to meet his needs, and also offer more differentiation to all the above-grade level kids in the grade.

Spelling is one of DS's strengths. Last week, he came home with his first differentiated spelling list. He will need to practice about 1/2 of them to get them correct on this week's test. Prior to this, he's only had 2-3 spelling words since he started school that he didn't already know. He also had to look up definitions and parts of speech for each word. It was both sad and beautiful to see him frustrated as he tried to spell each word the first time and realize he didn't already know them and had to LEARN them (even though that does come quickly), and then going through the process of looking them up in the dictionary.

DS cried a bit as he made mistakes, and I tried to keep it light by making jokes here and there, and explaining that you want work that isn't easy -- that's what learning is.

I know this is only a baby step, but DS was so proud that he'd learned something at school. When he was finished, he even called his grandmother to tell her how his teacher must be the best 3rd grade teacher ever because she expects her students to learn things that are hard. :-)
Posted By: Iucounu Re: A first step - 09/13/10 06:57 PM
I don't think it's sad. He's got to learn to take mistakes in stride, and it's just evidence that they are approaching the right level of material for him. What a great story.
Posted By: Mama22Gs Re: A first step - 09/13/10 07:07 PM
Thanks lucounu. I agree that it's EXACTLY what he needs. As a parent, it was hard to see him frustrated and crying, but my overall feelings were relief, hope and pride. Relief because it seems that his teacher gets it, hope because it is the first evidence that DS may really get challenged at school this year, and pride because while DS did get frustrated, he stuck with it and ended up feeling proud of himself and hoping for more work at this level.

What I think will be REALLY funny is when I hear from the parents of the other kids who earned the opportunity to have this more challenging work by passing the pre-test. DS spent more than an hour finishing two nights worth of spelling work. I'm not sure the other parents will appreciate the additional load. From our point of view, though, we are pleased as punch!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum