Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #83700 08/26/10 10:48 PM
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    Hi all!

I'm putting the final touches on a gifted K-12 curriculum and am posting here to welcome any suggestions. So far, the curriculum allows for complete customization, acceleration, and project-based learning. Students are able to work remotely, but all content does not have to be online.

Thanks in advance for your input...

Daa'iyah Na'im
    Director/Head of School
    The AGVI Academy for Gifted Youth
    http://AGVIgifted.org
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by AGVIgifted
    I'm putting the final touches on a gifted K-12 curriculum and am posting here to welcome any suggestions. So far, the curriculum allows for complete customization, acceleration, and project-based learning. Students are able to work remotely, but all content does not have to be online.
    Sounds great - but is there anything more specific you want feedback on? I had a browse around your website, but most of what I can say on that basis is technical niggles rather than curriculum feedback. FWIW:

- I went in looking to see what you have in the way of maths courses, and found that your page that calls itself "Math courses for students in grades K-12th.", i.e.
    http://moodle.agvigifted.org/course/category.php?id=9
    actually starts with Business Mathematics and Algebra I - probably not suitable for Kers, even gifted ones... So this left me a bit confused about what your target student population is. Is it that you are offering only high-school level courses, but making them available to children of any age? That would be a fine policy, but could be more clearly explained. I see also that your subject says High School, but your post body says K-12. The fact that I'm not American may not help, admittedly. If there are more elementary maths courses on your site I didn't find them. Maybe some of the navigation and/or signposting needs to be improved so that people don't look for things that are not there?

- I used guest access to a course or two and tried to play the multimedia lessons, but they didn't work at all on my browswer (Firefox 3.0 on Ubuntu) - I got a starting screen, but nothing more, and clicking away gave me some confusing changes in the left bar but still no content.

- To me, the long section of links etc. that you have on every page below your logo is too much and too busy to be helpful. I'd suggest replacing most of those links by a single link to Site Map where you'd put all the links.

- In that section, clicking the link Dual Enrollment and Early College just gives me an error message "Course Mode ID was incorrect".

- Many of your courses don't allow access to even a summary syllabus without an enrollment key. I think that's a mistake: people who are interested in this are going to want to get at least a little information about all the courses.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    I couldn't get to the 'how much it costs page' without login in. Too much hassle for me.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    There it is. It looks like you have put a lot of work and collaboration into this project and it could help a lot of homeschoolers. Can't help you work out the bugs. Just a little pat on the back for bringing your vision to life.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks for the reply and feedback, ColinsMum... You made good points (American or not ;)). I'll work on site navigation, clarification and updates asap. Also, I'd like to send you a link when updated, so that you may try again to access content via Linux. Regarding posting a syllabus, I'll be sure to make those available, too.

About the curriculum...
    This is a complete K-12 program with all content available online, although there are lots of offline assignments/activities.

K-8th is accelerated and primarily project-based. Students can accelerate learning as needed in specific subjects and/or receive remediation in other subject(s). The curriculum includes benchmarks and grade-level completion requirements for Language Arts/English, Math, Science, History/Social Studies, World Languages, Visual/Performing Arts, Technology, and Health/PE.

9th-12th includes advanced high school and college-level courses. Students complete minimum core requirements, but focus on area(s) of interest (English/Literature, Math, Science, History, etc.).

In regard to input, I like to hear feedback as to any components you'd like to see included in an ideal gifted curriculum. I've aligned content to national standards, as well as NAGC standards.

Thanks!

Daa'iyah Na'im
    Director/Head of School
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    Hi, Grinity... Apologies for the hassle... working on updating/remedying tech issues asap.

Daa'iyah Na'im
    Director/Head of School
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks, La Texican. The bugs won't be so difficult to work out, so I'll have that fixed this weekend. Just putting the final touches on the program design in preparation for the initial accreditation site visit.

Daa'iyah Na'im
    Director/Head of School

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students