Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 225 guests, and 33 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    NTmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I had my DS7 tested with the WISC IV last week. We had some surprising results that I was hoping you all could help me understand. Here are his results:

Verbal Comp: 130
    Perceptual Reasoning: 131
    Working Memory: 129
    Processing Speed: 83 (sub-scores of 6 for coding and 8 for symbol search)
    Generalized Abilities Index: 134
    Full Scale Score: 126

The psychologist's comments in the write up included: "The quality of his responses, especially to some of the most advanced and conceptually complex items, suggest that his scores may not reflect the full capacity of his intellectual abilities." And also, "[DS's] immediate rote sequential memory was developed almost to the normal level for adults."

In regard to the processing speed, he said, "[DS's] visuo-motor processing was slower than 92% of his same-aged peers on the test of encoding symbols... Even though he showed no obvious problems with grapho-motor control, his grapho-motor fluency was remarkably poor. He also displayed excessive extraneous motor movement during these tests."

During school last year, he got into trouble with the teacher most often during writing time (not staying on task, talking to other kids, etc.) and almost always chose to go to the bathroom at that time. So I'm guessing that this must be linked to the processing speed problem.

Has anyone else seen these kinds of scores? What do you make of them?

G
    G
    I'll send you a PM smile

Does your son have any grapho-motor troubles? Have you had his vision checked?

I have seen scores like this for children with ADHD or learning challenges. The PSI relies heavily on visual processing skills, graph motor skill and concentration. While the WISC and the subtests contained in the test cannot by itself diagnose learning issues, it can raise red flags in areas of difficulty. My son's scores are somewhat similar (although his PSI is much lower), and he does indeed have ADHD inattentive type, graph motor issues and other LD's.

That said, the PSI is the index least indicative of a child's thinking ability. It is more indicative of how quickly and efficiently he or she can take meaning from input and show what he knows and make output. A slow processor is much like a super charged sports car stuck in rush hour traffic. Lot's of horsepower, locked in a bottle neck.

Since he has difficulty during writing, it might be prudent to evaluate for OT or vision issues. The difficulty staying on task and moving around could look like possible ADHD, but I would rule out other difficulties first. When kids are overwhelmed or struggling, they often squirm, avoid the task and become distracted.

How are his literacy skills? spelling? math facts?

B
    B
    That's my son's score differential too - everything in the 99.9th percentile except for Processing Speed. Turns out he has poor visual processing, and as a result has a bit of ADHD tendencies except when he does something he loves.

The tester actually said he might have photographic memory despite the poor PS score because he looked at the pictures once and proceeded to fill in the blanks without having to refer again. Unfortunately, looking at each new symbol was tedious, as was writing, so he lost focus after several lines and started chatting.

I see what Mich is saying regarding ADHD. According to The Mislabeled Child, ADHD may have some causal factors such as poor auditory and visual processing. To me, the "excess extraneous muscle movement" you talked about is also another reason to have a visual check.

NTmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks, Mich, for your thoughts. These are very helpful. A few responses to your questions...

Originally Posted by mich
    Does your son have any grapho-motor troubles? Have you had his vision checked?...
    To be honest (feeling really stupid at the moment!) I don't know what graph-motor troubles would look like. I will look into it though! We have had his vision checked twice (just a regular eye exam) and they didn't find anything wrong.

Lot's of horsepower, locked in a bottle neck...
    Great image!!!

How are his literacy skills? spelling? math facts?
    His literacy skills are great (reading level and comprehension around 7th grade), math skills are at about the 3rd or 4th grade level, and spelling around the 4th grade level. So all of those areas are quite strong. Does that show something or rule something out?

Thanks again for your thoughts and help!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations