Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 105 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #82640 08/16/10 11:08 AM
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    The 145 cut off to apply DYS, is that etched in stone? My son is one point below. I would love to see him benefit from DYS.

The IQ test was the last test he did after 6 hours of testing. I really don't want to put him through any more testing. He's had enough. The tester did say and wrote on the report that, she felt the scores were an underestimate of his abilities, especially in math.

Is there a chance he would be accepted, without any more testing?

Thanks in advanced.

Just to clarify, you do know that he doesn't have to have a FSIQ that's 145, right, Tall Boys?

On the WISC, if the GAI, PRI, or the VCI cross the 145 mark, it counts. (The same with the SB, though I forget the abbreviations for those comparable indices...)

I think it's smart to apply if a child is close and you think the program would be helpful. Worst case, you get a "no," and they keep your file so that you just have to submit any new info if it becomes available. It's not wasted effort. Best case, the child is accepted.

And BTW, a "no" doesn't appear to harm future chances. I personally know a number of families who applied and got a "no" or "need more info" initially but were later accepted. It's not at all uncommon from what I can tell.

Kriston
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Thanks for the replies ladies!

I gave Dottie the achievement scores and he doesn't qualify. In time that might change, but for now, he would not qualify. I don't want to put him through any more tests, he hates them and shuts down.

As he matures we might consider testing again for a more reliable score, but I think I would like to wait a couple years.

Can I ask a semi-related question here? What does DYS do, exactly? Help develop individualized education plans? What else? I think they have a chat room and regional potlucks, right? Just curious. I like the way the Davidson Academy looks, but everyone keeps asking about the DYS, so I thought I'd ask too.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    There's an annual national "summit" of all the kids in the program who wish to attend. There are classes, guest speakers, and game rooms so the kids (and adults) can hang out together and talk and make friends.

They offer online communities for conversation.

They offer online seminars for both kids and parents with national experts in everything from art to writing to science to parenting and college planning.

They offer financial aid for schools, camps, and even computers if it is needed.

The "potlucks" are usually a bit more fabulous than you're make it sound. smile For example, my kids attended one get-together arranged by a DYS mom that gave the kids access to a top-of-the-line dinosaur lab, complete with experts to talk to one-on-one about the fossils. It was pretty fabulous! There were also courses with experts talking about alternative fuel sources (including "pee power"), what goes into putting a botany experiment on the space station, and other such amazing topics with leading experts in their fields. Some are more casual, some are crazy-intense. And anyone in the group can plan what they would like to attend.

Then there are the consultations with the family consultants, who can offer connections to experts, advice, resources, advocacy assistance, and support.

More than anything, the connections with other HG+ families has been the best part of the group for our family. The BTDT is priceless!

Kriston
    A
    A
    I inquired on behalf of a kid I tested who had a 144 (because yes, there's such a thing as a confidence interval), and DITD said, "If you think he should qualify, make the case in the report. We know you and we value your judgment." But that kid was solid across the board, and had fabulous achievement scores as well.

My guess is that they really don't want to take kids who are almost there, because then the almost becomes the new there, and then they have to take kids who are almost almost there, and so on.

(And by the way, I would never test a kid for 6 hours straight if I could possibly avoid it. I generally do 2-2.5 hours, send him off for a relaxed lunch, then another 2-2.5 hours in the afternoon. Younger kids just the morning session. I don't want to test the kid's testing stamina. I'd rather test the constructs the tests were designed to measure. Sigh.)

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Hi Aimee,

May we could have you test him next time?

Oh, now I get it. That does sound awesome!

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Considering it's free, yeah, it's pretty great! laugh

Travel costs are the responsibility of the family, of course. But there's no charge to families to join DYS, and fees to attend parent-planned events are minimal, just covering costs.

Kriston
    Well, it costs to go to anykind of convention, or gathering, or festival. But that does sound like a lot of fun, especially running into many of the same families at various events over the years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM