Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Tall boys Is 145 etched in stone? - 08/16/10 06:08 PM
The 145 cut off to apply DYS, is that etched in stone? My son is one point below. I would love to see him benefit from DYS.

The IQ test was the last test he did after 6 hours of testing. I really don't want to put him through any more testing. He's had enough. The tester did say and wrote on the report that, she felt the scores were an underestimate of his abilities, especially in math.

Is there a chance he would be accepted, without any more testing?

Thanks in advanced.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Is 145 etched in stone? - 08/16/10 07:21 PM
Just to clarify, you do know that he doesn't have to have a FSIQ that's 145, right, Tall Boys?

On the WISC, if the GAI, PRI, or the VCI cross the 145 mark, it counts. (The same with the SB, though I forget the abbreviations for those comparable indices...)

I think it's smart to apply if a child is close and you think the program would be helpful. Worst case, you get a "no," and they keep your file so that you just have to submit any new info if it becomes available. It's not wasted effort. Best case, the child is accepted.

And BTW, a "no" doesn't appear to harm future chances. I personally know a number of families who applied and got a "no" or "need more info" initially but were later accepted. It's not at all uncommon from what I can tell.
Posted By: Tall boys Re: Is 145 etched in stone? - 08/16/10 07:41 PM
Thanks for the replies ladies!

I gave Dottie the achievement scores and he doesn't qualify. In time that might change, but for now, he would not qualify. I don't want to put him through any more tests, he hates them and shuts down.

As he matures we might consider testing again for a more reliable score, but I think I would like to wait a couple years.

Posted By: La Texican Re: Is 145 etched in stone? - 08/16/10 07:52 PM
Can I ask a semi-related question here? What does DYS do, exactly? Help develop individualized education plans? What else? I think they have a chat room and regional potlucks, right? Just curious. I like the way the Davidson Academy looks, but everyone keeps asking about the DYS, so I thought I'd ask too.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Is 145 etched in stone? - 08/16/10 08:25 PM
There's an annual national "summit" of all the kids in the program who wish to attend. There are classes, guest speakers, and game rooms so the kids (and adults) can hang out together and talk and make friends.

They offer online communities for conversation.

They offer online seminars for both kids and parents with national experts in everything from art to writing to science to parenting and college planning.

They offer financial aid for schools, camps, and even computers if it is needed.

The "potlucks" are usually a bit more fabulous than you're make it sound. smile For example, my kids attended one get-together arranged by a DYS mom that gave the kids access to a top-of-the-line dinosaur lab, complete with experts to talk to one-on-one about the fossils. It was pretty fabulous! There were also courses with experts talking about alternative fuel sources (including "pee power"), what goes into putting a botany experiment on the space station, and other such amazing topics with leading experts in their fields. Some are more casual, some are crazy-intense. And anyone in the group can plan what they would like to attend.

Then there are the consultations with the family consultants, who can offer connections to experts, advice, resources, advocacy assistance, and support.

More than anything, the connections with other HG+ families has been the best part of the group for our family. The BTDT is priceless!
Posted By: Aimee Yermish Re: Is 145 etched in stone? - 08/16/10 08:37 PM
I inquired on behalf of a kid I tested who had a 144 (because yes, there's such a thing as a confidence interval), and DITD said, "If you think he should qualify, make the case in the report. We know you and we value your judgment." But that kid was solid across the board, and had fabulous achievement scores as well.

My guess is that they really don't want to take kids who are almost there, because then the almost becomes the new there, and then they have to take kids who are almost almost there, and so on.

(And by the way, I would never test a kid for 6 hours straight if I could possibly avoid it. I generally do 2-2.5 hours, send him off for a relaxed lunch, then another 2-2.5 hours in the afternoon. Younger kids just the morning session. I don't want to test the kid's testing stamina. I'd rather test the constructs the tests were designed to measure. Sigh.)
Posted By: Tall boys Re: Is 145 etched in stone? - 08/16/10 09:00 PM
Hi Aimee,

May we could have you test him next time?
Posted By: La Texican Re: Is 145 etched in stone? - 08/16/10 10:39 PM
Oh, now I get it. That does sound awesome!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Is 145 etched in stone? - 08/16/10 11:16 PM
Considering it's free, yeah, it's pretty great! laugh

Travel costs are the responsibility of the family, of course. But there's no charge to families to join DYS, and fees to attend parent-planned events are minimal, just covering costs.
Posted By: La Texican Re: Is 145 etched in stone? - 08/16/10 11:34 PM
Well, it costs to go to anykind of convention, or gathering, or festival. But that does sound like a lot of fun, especially running into many of the same families at various events over the years.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Is 145 etched in stone? - 08/17/10 01:15 AM
It really is great! And we keep in touch on Facebook and/or through e-mail. So we are cultivating some really wonderful friendships with families who really get us, in all our wonderful weirdness, and we them. smile

Many of these needs can be met in other ways, of course, including forums like this one. So I don't want to make it sound like it's the end of the world if a kid doesn't get in. It certainly is not. But if one has a child who qualifies, I would absolutely recommend it.

If nothing else, I figure it's good insurance for the future in case we have trouble and need some support. And that is 100% free.
Posted By: Mam Re: Is 145 etched in stone? - 08/17/10 03:12 AM
I find that some families barely take advantage of the program while others are more "heavy users". We went in and have found it a great resource, but I have seen some who really don't use any of the services.
Posted By: La Texican Re: Is 145 etched in stone? - 08/17/10 03:59 AM
Thanks Kriston. You painted a better picture of DYS for me than the website did. I didn't understand why so many posters were testing to qualify for DYS and I have yet to see one testing for the academy. I was thinking of the fellowship among the kids at the academy, but now I understand why DYS is very cool itself!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Is 145 etched in stone? - 08/17/10 04:10 AM
DYS doesn't require relocation. Attending the Academy does, unless one already lives in NV. That's bound to affect the numbers, I'm sure! wink
Posted By: Mia Re: Is 145 etched in stone? - 08/18/10 02:29 AM
Back to the original question, they do at least look at kids who are really close. My ds-then-5.5yo was two points short on the WPPSI but had a few qualifying+ scores on his achievement testing. They didn't admit him with those scores alone, but did ask for more information, and he was admitted with a pretty strong portfolio (some good video and work samples).

HTH!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum