Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    K
    K
    Similar to Catalana, our school district has an age cutoff for kindergarten, but not first grade. I'm not sure about the rules. We also have a program for early entrance to K so we may be in a more progressive district.
    I would call around and see if there are other preschools that are not as strict about age. It sounds like your school is not willing to meet your child's needs. Do they have other reasons for wanting to keep her with 4 year olds? Around here it is well known that the Catholic school takes kids early if they have the ability. Many people have used it as a way around the system.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    thanks everyon, they have readily admitted she is way ahead: not only ahead of her classmates, but ahead of their kindergarteners at the END of their year, but have never skipped someone ahead. This is just a private pre-K and K program. We don't have a recent IQ score that I trust (she had one just after four and it was high, but she was so little that I don't really trust the score)and I think I still question the gifted designation.

For those who don't know her, she could read words and small sentences at two and a half, knew letter sounds by one and a half, has an amazing drawing talent, spelled out words in the bathtub wall with foam letters before three, and was similarly advanced with math, spatial reasoning, and has a frightening memory, outrageous vocabulary, vivid imagination and creativity, and advanced fine motor skills with coloring, drawing, and writing. She has been very impulsive, intense, argmentative, and demanding in school and home situations and altough no one is saying that is their issue for saying she she be around younger kids,it probably is.

I guess I have decided that maybe it is important enough to fight too hard yet since she is only going three days a week for a few hours. I am hoping her new teacher will find ways to accomodate her a little bit at least.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM