Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 433 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    G
    G
    I am so very sorry for your loss, and I will keep your family in my prayers.

The other parents have wonderful advice. I agree that in this difficult situation where I'm sure your mind is on so many things and you need this time for yourself, you should just follow your instincts. If your husband, inlaws, or other trusted adults can stay with him and help monitor his feelings/emotions (and remove him if it's too much), it might be best for you to keep your family together. On the other hand, I think it could also be a wonderful middle ground to have him stay with other people during the funeral itself and join up with the family event afterwards if there is something along those lines.

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2
    M
    Mama Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you all for your support and advice. I guess one of the things that makes it difficult is that my husband categorically does not like the idea of a 5 y.o. attending a funeral. He will, however, let me choose whether my son attends. I will not allow him to go to the viewing, however, based on everything here, and having spoken to others, I will allow my son to attend. I will, however, have his paternal grandmother stay with him and allow him to leave with her if any of the funeral becomes too much for him. Once again, I thank you all so much for your help. Knowing that I can come here for help makes a difficult time less so.

((hugs)) I'm very sorry for your loss.

C
    C
    Your plan sounds very sensible. I'm sorry for your loss, and I hope you feel happy with your decisions in the end. I'm also in the large group of people who were not allowed to go to a funeral at this age and regret it (although not as much as the funeral when I was 10 or so, to which I actively wanted to go).

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    M
    Mama Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    I would like to thank everyone who gave advice. My son did attend the funeral (but not the viewing), and it appears to have been a positive experience for him. He was never requested to leave and hopefully, all will be well!

Thank you for sharing that outcome with us, as we should all be able to draw from your experience.

When I was pregnant with DD9 my husbands sister passed away, with 4 children left behind, youngest being 2.5 yo. What they did was have someone in another room watching them, they came out one by one and viewed her in the coffin with someone explaining things gently to them of what was going on, and they went back to the room. They were allowed to come out again if they needed to be with their Dad and it all seemed to work out pretty well.

The impossible is just something that hasn't happened yet.
    Oh no, I started to cry a little bit when I read that.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM