Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 105 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    C
    Clay Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Stumbled on this today, and it kind of made me laugh...

Many gifted people consult a professional because they have difficulty deciding what to do with and in their lives. The traditional approach is to do what you are good at. But what if you are good at many things and don't want to miss out on exploring as many of them as possible? What if you don't think you are good enough at anything? What if you feel immobilised by the thought of not picking the "right" career? What if you feel that your life should have meaning and want a vocation and not simply a job? What if you are scared by the thought that no job will provide the stimulation, challenge and new learning that you crave? What if��..?

(from http://giftedservices.com.au/adults.html)

All this time, I thought I was pathologically indecisive. Turns out I'm just gifted. wink

Kidding aside, like many of you, doing all this research and thinking about things for dd has got me thinking about my own upbringing, and that's got me feeling a little upended. crazy

I sooooo have this problem. I ended up picking my career by choosing the class that was hardest for me in HS.

I like it but now, 10 years later, I've found that my passion lies elsewhere. However, for the time being I'm sticking with my current career and doing what I really like on the side.

My husband chose his college major by reading the list of majors and selecting the one that sounded the hardest. crazy

He loves his mathy-computery career and has been extremely successful at it. He needs to learn new things all the time, though, or he gets bored. Luckily, his field offers a lot of newness all the time.

I have always been a humanities generalist at heart, a serial monogamist of sorts in terms of my interests. I get passionate about something for a few years and learn everything there is to know about it, but then I burn out and move on to another passion. Writing novels has been a good fit for me because I can immerse myself in one world, write the book, and then move on to another world. It took me a good long while to figure that out, though!

I think it's good to play to your strengths, but more in terms of approach to learning than in terms of subject matter.

Kriston
    I'd love to read your novel. Are u published? I like stories.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    I hope to be, but I'm not yet. I'm editing my second book now, and it will be the first one I send out to agents to try to sell, hopefully by the end of the summer.

Thanks for the interest. smile

Kriston
    Oh yeah I'm interested. If you were my neighbor I'd enjoy reading the computer print-out copy. Good luck with that.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    C
    Clay Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Serial monogonist. I like that. I think that's the way to go, at least personally. I envy people like newmom, who have a long-lived passion. I know what you mean about being a novelist (or writer in general). Good luck, indeed. I don't usually wish luck to capable people, but there is such an element that is out of your control.

I think under different circumstances going with the hardest pick might have worked well for me. Alas, by the time I started college, I had a horrible attitude towards school. frown I guess that's what's killing me now -- things that I've seen as personality flaws, I'm now realizing actually have at least some degree of cheetah-in-the-cage syndrome. Ah, well. We can only move forward.

I'll take the luck, with gratitude. smile

If you'll allow me a little fortune-cookie-esque wisdom: It's only too late to change course if you're dead. Forgive yourself your mistakes and do better next time.

Kriston
    D
    D
    Upended would be an understatement! Love the fortune cookie wisdom.

I think many of us learned a whole lot about ourselves, our spouses, our parents and siblings, etc., etc. from our research to try to help our kids. I know I did, and it's a common comment here.

Nothing wrong with that! smile

Kriston
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM