Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 145 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    My 3 year old has been recently dx'd as highly gifted and having multiple sensory integration issues. I really want to do everything I can to help him so that he can function in life more comfortablly. I plan to begin sensory integration therapy with him as soon as they can find time on the schedule for us. Is therapy really beneficial? Have the parents who have been through this seen a difference in their chidlren?

Also, what kinds of things can be done at home to help him with his sensory issues which include sensitivities to light, sound, texture, motion and position and are all gross motor lags?

Any advise for helping him feel more comfortable around other children? He is constantly afraid they are going to tag him or yell too loud and it makes it that much harder for him to connect with them which is already a bit hard since he perfers different kind of play then they do and avoids swings, slides (although he'll climb up them) and climbing is tough for him.

Any related advise is greatly appreciated. I'm very new to this and REALLY want to learn all I can from those who have been through it.

Thank you,
    Amy

Hi Amy,
    I have a 13 year old Boy who had sensory issues when he was younger. There are things you can do to help him - both with physical and occupational therapy and home based activities can all make a difference. Your goal will be to help him develop the strength, motor skills and strategies needed to self regulate and compensate.

The Out of Sync Child is the best resource out there to understand sensory issues and the ways to help your child. Here is their web site: http://www.out-of-sync-child.com/

What can you do to help? There are a couple of "must do's" that I would undertake immediately:
    1. Make a referral to your school's district's special education office. Write a letter notifying them that your son has recently been diagnosed. Ask them to evaluate him for special education. Under IDEA, which is federal special education law, Districts are required under the �child find� provision to locate children that may need extra instruction and accommodations and to give them the necessary services such as OT and PT. While your child�s issues are not academic, they may affect his ability to participate in school, for example, dealing with noise, movement, walking up and down stairs, handwriting, staying alert or calming down.

Once you have made the referral, your district MUST evaluate your son in all areas of suspected difficulty: PT, OT (and anything else such as speech and language, social pragmatics) within about 60 days (timelines vary by state). They will present you with a written evaluation report that includes the test results, interpretation, analysis and recommendations. You will meet with a team of educators including the evaluators and a special ed team leader to review the results and determine if your child is eligible for school based services. If he is, you will write an IEP (individual education program) that outlines his needs, goals and services. The school will provide you services.

If your school district has a public pre-school, he may be eligible to get his services during the pre-school day. Some of his services may be given directly in the pre-school setting, or he may go to the gym or other room that has needed equipment. This would be provided at no cost to you.

2. Think about enrolling your son in a pre-school gymnastics class and or martial arts class. This will help him develop the upper body strength and motor planning skills that he is lacking. It is also a structured and way to help him become more adept and confident with climbing, tumbling and pushing himself athletically. Be sure that the teacher has knowledge of child development and is skilled at working with young children. For my son, Karate did more for him than school based and private PT combined. It works on sequencing, strength, listening skills, memory and it is a great way to burn off steam.

3. At home, try to give your child a �sensory diet�. http://www.sensorysmarts.com/sensory_diet_activities.html These are activities and experiences that are designed to help him better tolerate sensory discomfort, keep him more alert and attentive, help him transition more easily. Things that my son enjoyed: swinging, water play- plastic bowls in a water filled kitchen sink, sandbox, play dough, wheel barrow, shovel, things to dig and push.

4. Keep an eye on related issues. For my son, his sensory issues were a red flag to future difficulties with reading, writing and attention. While not all kids with sensory issues have learning disabilities, there is a high co-morbidity rate.

Best of luck to you and your son!

Hi Amy,

Welcome to the board, you definitely found the right place and I'm sure you will get a lot of advice from parents who have experience. My DD turns 4 next month and though she has sensory issues they were never to the level of needing therapy. We just took things slow with her. As a baby she would out and out refuse to walk in the grass because the sensation of grass on her feet freaked her out. That and leaves, but we baby stepped it with her and she slowly came around. That and having two big dogs she absolutely adores helped get her past the fear of grass. We also had some issues with light and sound but she has seemed to gotten over most of that. We would keep sunglasses in the car for her because the sunlight was too intense for her and would leave her in tears. Even with a sunshade on the window it wasn't enough, but this year she hasn't needed the sunglasses or the sunshade and has adapted to the bright light. The other issues we had was food. She was basically a vegetarian because she couldn't stand the texture of meat even as baby food. So we set up rules that she had to at least try everything on her plate. Most of the time it was met with faces and she would refuse to eat it beyond one bite, but enough times of the same item showing up on her plate she adjusted and added it into her likes.

My DD has a classmate very similar to your son and he is in therapy. His mom said it is a slow process but they have seen improvements. She also has informed me on many occasion about my DD and her interaction with her son. DD is very protective of him and when someone in class shouts or gives him too much attention, DD quickly shuts it down. His mother adores DD because she just seems to understand. DD has such a high empathy and doesn't like to see others suffer. Even at his birthday party when he became very upset and had a complete meltdown about his dinosaur pinata getting hit and his mother couldn't calm him down; DD stepped in and rubbed his back and talked to him for a little while. It was such a sweet moment and very touching to see how her little act helped him in a way nothing else did. He accepted the fate of his dinosaur and was able to continue on with his party.

M
    M
    my son is 4, gifted, with sensory integration disorder. for his sound sensitivities we often use sound reducing earphones by peltor....you can find them on amazon for around 20 bucks....they are a life saver!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent