Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    DeeDee #80376 07/14/10 09:10 AM
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    From my perspective, the OE theory may do a disservice to some kids because it doesn't provide a good roadmap to helping them overcome their difficulties.

For several years we looked for answers to why DS had so many difficulties and we were told "he's fine, just quirky and very bright." This approach cost him some years of early intervention services and cost us some years of understanding what was really going on with him and how to help. I regret both those losses.

If you label difficulties as quirks or OEs, you are more likely to decide you're just going to weather them with your child as best you can, ad hoc, without much professional guidance/ interference/ therapy. That may be the right thing to do in some cases. For us, it wasn't. We have done better with a diagnosis and targeted help.

My two cents, YMMV.
    DeeDee
    Hi DeeDee -
    I totally agree with you on this one, but from a happier perspective. In 2nd grade DS was causing all kinds of disruption at school and the school was sure it was ADHD, but we just didn't see it at home, so we took him to a local Psychologist, who (mis)diagnosed Non-verbal learning disorder purely on the subtest scatter on the WISC III, but poo-poo'd the idea that maybe bordom was causing the acting-out. We were told that he was 'bright and immature' by the Psychologist who was telling us about the scores that got DS into the Young Scholar's Program. Later I called the fellow because I was afraid that YSP was 'making something out of nothing' and he did tell me that he had never seens scores anywhere near as high as my son's scores. I really appreciate that level of honesty, but I feel that the situation was mishandled. Ah! Outer Directed Perfectionism!

(My guess is that Psychologists are all smart enough that if they don't have a specific reason to know better, they think being bored in elementary school is normal. With no idea about LOG it's easy to imagine that all gifted kids are able to make things interesting for themselves in socially appropriate ways. My son was plenty capable of finding things besides academics to be interested in, and yet the school adults didn't really enjoy his creativity in this area.)

So reading up on NVLD brought me to sensory integration disorder, which brought DS to a very useful 6 months of OT, privately and at school. At 7 he seems to be almost 'too old' so I am supergrateful that he got those 6 months in. Later I learned about OEs and thought, 'wow, if I had read this book before that book, we would have never gone to OT, and just kept struggling with modifing the environment - an easy trap for parents of only children to fall into.' The NVLD books also had great tips for parenting that were very helpful.

On the other hand, do I regret the time lost (all of 2nd grade) while DS learned that 'there was something wrong with him' at school and nothing was done for his real learning needs. Luckily for us DS got a great teacher for 3rd grade - his best so far, and I learned that sometimes doing the wrong thing (leaving him in that school) leads to the right result. It was a teriffic year.

But yeah, if anyone finds that crystal ball that all parents are supposed to be issued, please return it soon! Perfectionistic Mom would really like to be doing the right thing here!

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    blob #80426 07/14/10 04:59 PM
    D
    D
    The responses here have been very helpful to me as well...as an adult who was diagnosed with ADHD-inattentive (and even though the more I read the more I am attributing to being gifted and not being appropriately challenged in school, I do believe that the diagnosis is accurate for me). Also as I am trying to figure out dd3--I googled psychomotor + gifted and came up with some good links but dd3 turned off the computer b4 I could get them here to share...

"He also brought up the fact that DS will suddenly volunteer seemingly unrelated information. This is the first time I've heard about this last behaviour, but I have my doubts about this one. Many times, DS makes unusual unconnections that, when I give pause, gives me a blinding insight. I can't think of any examples offhand, but many times, I've exclaimed, "hey, that's a really interesting point of view!". So the issue is also of finding a teacher who "gets" my son." I don't know how to do the quote thing sorry!

YES! I wouldn't go so far as to say that I was ever blindingly insightful, but I still have this experience. Only as an adult, it is too frustrating and time consuming to try to explain the steps I took to get there so I usually just don't. I can remember doing that as a kid and can see why it would be difficult not to share the thoughts, esp. when you might not understand how unusual it might be to make those connections that quickly.

The more I think about it though, I am seeing my dd's behaviour as clearly a result of inappropriate stimulation...and I see the same in myself right now, although it manifests in different ways.

So...ummmm...sorry I can't help the OP very much, but thanks to everyone for sharing your wisdom b/c it is really helpful for me.

WIshing you the best with hsing Blob--I am afraid that may be on the horizon here as well!

There is an accelerated learner forum at The Well-Trained Mind forums with lots of gifted homeschoolers.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM