Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 377 guests, and 39 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    L
    L
    I'm fully in the camp of not telling, but sometimes I would really love to. DS9 really doesn't believe he is notably smart. He accepts that he must be quite intelligent, as he's in a GT program, but as his abilities are skewed very clearly toward language rather than Math, he thinks all the Math whizzes out there (including his younger brother) are way smarter than him. Also, in his opinion Mom just thinks he's smart because all Moms think that! I'd love to show him some 'proof' but think it's better in the long run to let him figure it out for himself (you'd think those MAP scores and Grades might give it away!) Another part of me just loves that he doesn't think he's 'all that'.

S
    S
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    There is also: high enough that when the test was added up, the scoring computer blew a fuse and cried for mercy!

Which is a little colorful, but once you enter the world of extended scoring - that's what I viusalize as happening.

lol, I like that one. I do feel like saying something like that when DS gets mad at himself and says "I am studid." Or when he happens to lose a game and considers himself stupid. I feel like explaining to him just how smart he is, but it isn't the time or place. Instead I do my counseling stuff with and talk about his feelings. : )

And Dottie, I have heard similar stories of children "off the charts." I often wonder what charts they are referring to. I have a family member (that shall remain unnamed) that insists that his son is just as bright as my DS6 and that they did testing with him and he was told that he can do whatever job he wants to do in the future. I have never told him any details about my son, because he is one of those who loves to compare. Plus he likes to put down acceleration and all that and tell me his son is just fine in regular classes and how harmful it is to grade skip (he is also one of those who has lots of opinions and no real knowledge to back it up). I won't go into details but I would be shocked if his son fell anywhere near the gifted range. Although even ND people (such as myself) can do lots of things in life if they are dedicated and hard workers, but to tell me that he is the same is my son is ridiculous. So I do hesitate to say "off the charts" when referring to my son and when I hear others say it I am a little apprehensive at first.

Originally Posted by Dottie
    Oh if I had a dollar for everyone who had a kid that was "just like DS" in math. Just yesterday a friend was lamenting that the only reason her son wasn't accelerated like DS was because he wasn't equally bright in reading.
    I'll bet you a dollar that this friend has totally blanked on exactly how many grades ahead your DS actually is - LOL!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    My parents would never really tell me either, although they did tell me lots of things they really shouldn't have, and I got a lot of half pictures.

Anyway, recently I was thinking about stuff, and was frustrated with the half-picture I had, so I took an online test. I was ammused to discover that I was roughly around the 75th %ile overall, with several scores in the high 90's... doing the percentiles upside down from the usual wink

Erm.... take that as you may. But I think that I would feel a lot better (even now) if I had a clearer picture of how my mind works _in compairison with others_. I've always joked that I'm a dumb person who just acts smart. And I might be right!

Maybe it's more important to know if you're 2e (or GLD, as I was labelled in my youth), since the picture is more complicated. For me the picture was very confusing, as someone else mentioned regarding her son a couple of posts ago.

Or maybe it's more important to the information-hog type. I remember an argument my father had with a nurse while he was having a heart attack (!), he wanted to see the monitor showing his vital signs, because it made him feel "better." She thought it would "stress him out." I wound up reading it off to him at intervals. Now THAT was stressful. (but biofeedback works)

Information doesn't kill people, people with information kill people.... wait, no, that's not the way that one went....

-Mich (who really should be doing something else right now)

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM