Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 331 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    V
    V
    If the IQ tests don't show what you think they should, don't fret. The test scores fluctuate with the child's mood and behavior, and sometimes your gifted child may have poor test-taking skills (like I used to have, although I have a good memory when it comes to standardized achievement). If you suspect your child is gifted, you will probably be right. Trust your intuition---it never fails. wink

D
    OP Offline
    D
    Thanks Violet! She was MG according to WPPSI--but I suspect she is actually more towards HG and want to have another IQ test before we move...not PG--I am amazed at the anecdotes here and would love to meet some of these children!

I think she likes standardized tests, even though she has just done it once--when the Duke TIP stuff came in the mail and I told her it meant she would get to take the explore test to get a truer picture of what she knows she jumped up and down and said "yipee!" lol! I liked taking standardized tests as a kid--mostly I think b/c I finished early and could then read!

thanks again for the encouragement!

V
    V
    Originally Posted by deacongirl
    Thanks Violet! She was MG according to WPPSI--but I suspect she is actually more towards HG and want to have another IQ test before we move...not PG--I am amazed at the anecdotes here and would love to meet some of these children!

I think she likes standardized tests, even though she has just done it once--when the Duke TIP stuff came in the mail and I told her it meant she would get to take the explore test to get a truer picture of what she knows she jumped up and down and said "yipee!" lol! I liked taking standardized tests as a kid--mostly I think b/c I finished early and could then read!

thanks again for the encouragement!

Lucky you! When I was in fifth grade, I was usually great at taking standardized tests, because I could read after that in fourth grade. My teacher, however, said that "finishing quickly was bad and that it would hurt others' feelings.")

D
    OP Offline
    D
    I have been reflecting on my own time in school, and while it was less than challenging or satisfying, at least they did let me read! I shouldn't be but am shocked at how much I have seen the "hurt others' feelings" argument.

I liked taking standardized tests as a kid--mostly I think b/c I finished early and could then read!

Nice to know I wasn't the only weirdo in school. :-) I loved test days - no listening to teacher drone on and time to read!

Welcome to the board deacongirl!

C
    C
    She was MG according to WPPSI--but I suspect she is actually more towards HG and want to have another IQ test before we move...not PG--I am amazed at the anecdotes here and would love to meet some of these children!
    That's my oldest dd, too. She's the one who skipped 5th & she, too, was MG per earlier IQ testing, but seems much more HG per achievement and a lot of GT teachers personal opinions (lol). I, too, don't think that we are raising PG kids in this house.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM