Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 96 guests, and 60 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    Z
    OP Offline
    Z
    We have made the decision to begin the process of applying for the Davidson Academy in Reno.

I am particularly interested in learning about the application process, your insight if you toured the school or anything you can share if your child is or was a student.

Thank you.
    ZM

W
    W
    The application procedure was rather different when my ds, now a DA student, applied a few years back, but he's spoken with plenty of kids who have been through it recently and he says that most of them mention the assessment day more than anything else. From the parents I've spoken with, many of whom are now applying for a sibling of a current student, I get the same vibe. That said, I haven't got a crystal ball and I have no firsthand experience of the current assessment, but for what it's worth....

My understanding is that the assessment is, or is close to, a full day at the school. The kids involved form their own classroom for the day, and they really don't have an opportunity to mingle with the current students. They are taught mostly by one of the middle school English/history teachers, though a math teacher comes in for that portion of instruction/assessment, and the same goes for science whenever science assessment is included. Some kids come out exhausted, other's don't seem particularly fazed -- guess it depends on the kid. Most of them, though, have enjoyed their time in the classroom and were happy to interact with other prospective students. The writing/peer editing/rewriting process take up a good chunk of time, but since that's a rather lengthy process, that is probably to be expected. I think that in addition to academics, the school is looking at the social/emotional side of things, as well.

I do know that the school works very hard to get results back to families as soon as possible, which is no small feat. And I believe a detailed explanation of the assessment testing can be requested. The rest of the application process seems rather standard: test scores, recommendations, transcripts, writing samples, etc. If you have any questions at all about the application, definitely give them a call. When I was in your shoes I bombarded them with questions and it was never a problem.

I'm not sure if the way they did things last year is the way they'll do things in future (the school really is a work in progress), and, again, I have to stress that my family hasn't been through the current application process ourselves. Still, I hope this gives you at least some small insight into the assessment part of the application.

Good luck!

Z
    OP Offline
    Z
    Thank you very much for the information. My son just went through a similar school assessment locally and loved the interaction and it really gave both the school and our child information they needed. Unfortunately my son walked away saying it was the best two days of his life and the school walked away saying they couldn't meet his academic needs. It was heartbreaking. I am very glad to hear that Davidson will be open to questions and convey information early in the process. Overall, are you happy with the school as a parent? Is your child happy?
    Are you from Reno or did you relocate and if so, how did you find the adjustment for your family?

Sorry for all the questions. We are thirsty for information.
    ZM

D
    D
    ZM--
    I know nothing about DA, and suspect that my dd9 would not qualify...BUT I grew up spending summers in Truckee, CA, about 45 minutes from Reno, and it is my favorite place in the world! Don't know if you would relocate there, but Lake Tahoe is breathtaking and there is so much to do--world class skiing, hiking, all kinds of outdoor festivals and activities, great food and wine--I know there are some newer subdivisions in Reno that you can be on the ski slopes at Northstar in 30 minutes, and from what I understand Reno is a pretty liveable city--easy to find your way around. Good luck to your family.

W
    W
    ZM:

We moved all the way across the country for the DA. The adjustment was, and continues to be, hard, but I think people's feelings about relocation depend on what they like and where they came from. I absolutely love the people I've met, but I can't imagine I would not be here if it weren't for the school. I agree with deacongirl regarding Truckee/Tahoe, but I have no effusive praise for Reno itself. True, Truckee and Tahoe are both spectacularly gorgeous, but there's nothing on that level in Reno proper. In fact Reno is a high desert, not an alpine forest, so the landscape here is way different (and a lot less easy on the eyes) than it is in either of those places. And (depending on traffic/weather) traveling to both Truckee and Tahoe can be a pain. I live in one of those westernmost subdivisions (supposedly 30 minutes from Northstar) and I can tell you that trip there is rarely so speedy. Still, the people in Reno are truly, truly lovely and it really is easy to get around (if you have a car). And the Sierra Nevada area is definitely worth the drive, even if it does take more than 30 minutes. There is nothing more enjoyable than stretching out in the warm summer sun (and single-digit humidity) of a Tahoe beach. The crystal clear water, the pine trees along the shore, the snow-capped mountains in the distance.... It is amazing.

As for the school itself, it's a work in progress and I think anyone considering it for their child needs to embrace that from the get-go. Am I satisfied as a parent? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Is my kid happy? Mostly yes, but sometimes no. I think it's important to keep in mind that the DA is not going to be the perfect school -- no place is going to be perfect. What each family needs to do is take a good hard look at how it really stacks up against a child's current school situation. I also think it is important to get a variety of opinions and talk to as many people as possible, both those who love it there and those who were less than thrilled with their experience. Only then can you make a truly informed decision. I hope you come out to visit and see all that the DA and Reno has to offer, no matter what you ultimately decide to do!

Last edited by wayoutwest; 07/07/10 09:35 AM.
    Z
    OP Offline
    Z
    Thank you for that honest assessment both about the area itself and the school.

I am looking forward to speaking to more parents and learning as much as we can over the next few months.

One bit of information I have gleaned: The application process is serious. They look at the whole child (social and emotional as well as academic readiness) and it is not enough merely to have qualifying test scores. The DA is apparently looking for those kids who have the best chance of thriving there.

How old is your son? If I remember it correctly he is close in age to my older one, so he would be 8 now. I believe he may be too young to get accepted for the 2011/2012 school year or even 2012/2013.

I think this would be the first question I would investigate. I don't doubt your son's academic knowledge, but I met a few people whose children were deemed too young (not mature enough) for the Academy.

LMom
    Z
    OP Offline
    Z
    Hi LMom,
    You are correct, he is almost 8 and will be just shy of 9 if we were to get accepted for the 2011/2012 school year.

I was happy to hear that the program is about the whole child and finding the right fit all around. We are serious, too, and have a considerable amount of miles under our belt on the quest for the right academic match.

If we are fortunate enough to get to participate in the on- campus assessment, I will be curious to see just how he does fit in. Since the academic readiness is there, I would hope that the school can take into account the age factor because in my opinon that is what separates them out from the rest of the schools out there that would consider putting an 8 year old in 6th or 7th grade but can't meet the challenges that come with being 8.

My son is very adaptable to a variety of social situations, and comfortable with older kids, but he is every bit his age when it comes to McDonald's toys and who got the bigger bowl of ice cream. I wouldn't have it any other way- I want him to enjoy his childhood and that is why we are willing to move literally across the country to find the right school.

With that said, I will have to trust in the school's assessment and if they don't feel it is right, they should know best. That is what happened here locally this past spring and while I was deeply disappointed, I ultimately understood if they didn't feel it could work (and it was an expensive private school that had every incentive to make it work) then it wouldn't work and nobody would be happy.

Sorry that I am rambling. I appreciate the comments and suggestions and am absorbing it all. I am still quite anxious to speak to parents who applied and if anyone is willing to talk, please PM me.

I
    I
    ZM, as many of us know from experience, an expensive private school does not necessarily mean they can/will provide differentiation for gifted kids! My D goes to one, and is not always as academically challenged as I would like. Sometimes, but not always. It does have some other benefits that make it work for her. She is going to THINK at Davidson tomorrow, and I believe she is looking forward to the accelerated pace and being with a group of her peers. Wish we could consider a move to Reno, but for various job and child custody reasons it is not in the cards for us... Good luck with your search!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM