Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    Well she is doing a lot lot better now.
    she was trying to be older then she is and that scared her she told me one night that she was scared she was growing up and that she thinks she would just like to stay a kid for a while longer..
    i basicly told her she was in luck because she IS still a very young child and that she still had many many years to just be a kid and that even when you do grow into an adult you can still choose to play and act like a kid sometimes even grown ups are silly and play sometimes.
    Then i showed her age in comparison to other people she knows (kids and adults) which helped a lot and then after that everytime she pitched a fit i knew what to do i just riminded her that she is a kid and she should have fun being a kid for now and now she only gets angry sometimes and gets over it much much faster then before

It seems to me she was working through something in her own mind and has worked it out now..

Our little ones ... we can ponder why and what is causing them distress and never come to the cause. I remember your post and would never have thought ... she fears growing up. I'm really happy for you that she has opened up and seems to be working through it all.

G
    G
    I'm glad she was a able to articulate her thoughts to you. It is hard to figure out our kids sometimes. I love it when they can figure out their issues for themselves.

My son is turning five this year and is going off to kindergarten. I think he is going through some things right now but he is not that great with self reflecting and expressing his thoughts. We kept expecting him to show some kind of emotion on the last week of school but he was happy as a clam and didn't seem to be sad to be leaving his friends. Then yesterday, 2 weeks after school ended, we watched a Japanese movie called, My Neighbor Totoro. It seemed like a relatively mild movie. He does have a history of getting very upset over movies, especially Pixar movies. Well, I'm not sure if you anyone has watched the movie. Anyways, there are dust bunnies (spirits) who live in a house occupied by a family with two daughter. These black spirits live in the attic and fly through the house, sort of odd. Anyways, the family settles in the house and when the family is happy the dust bunnies go away. My son started crying and crying, not loud but big tears. I asked him what was wrong and all he could get out was that missed them and he wanted them to go back to the girls house. A little while into the movie he got very sad again because Totoro kept leaving the girls and he wanted him to stay with them. That very night he saw that I had put some dying sunflowers that had been in vases around the house into the garbage can and he was so upset and wanted me to put them back in a vase in his room. He started to cry and say that he didn't want them to leave because then he wouldn't be able to see them every day. Today he was also very attached and when I left for a few minutes he said that he was sad because he missed me. He has not had any separation issues and usually is fine going to school and does not even like hugs and kisses all that much. So now I am wondering if maybe he has now figured out that he won't be seeing his friends and is missing them. I hope that in a few days he can verbalize his feelings to me.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations