Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #78619 06/21/10 05:44 AM
    F
    freya Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    I'm wondering if anyone has had trouble getting a highly gifted + baby/toddler to eat. When I related our experience to the mother of a PG maths prodigy she was relived to hear she wasn't alone in this experience and I'm interested to hear if it may be a trait of some HG+ kids.

Last edited by freya; 03/29/14 03:28 AM.
    freya #78620 06/21/10 06:12 AM
    My daughter, just over 2 yrs, is definitely not food-motivated. She is not picky and likes a wide variety of foods, including vegetables, beans, tofu, highly seasoned foods, all the things little kids are supposed to hate. But she just doesn't focus on eating all that much.

I don't know if it's an attentional issue (eating bores her?) or not. I do remember when she was 1+, it took forever to get food into her. She would eat one bean, run around the kitchen for an entire minute, come back to me, eat one more bean . . . In contrast, her friend who is exactly the same age would sit in her chair and pack it away, and still does.

These days I don't really work at getting her to eat, I just offer frequently throughout the day, and allow her to eat out of my bowl, sitting in my lap, which she finds more interesting (a behavior that I didn't intend on allowing at this age). Also relevant, we are still nursing, which she loves. I sometimes wonder how much of her calories is still coming from that.

Anyway, here's one more data point for your theory!

freya #78622 06/21/10 06:14 AM
    I would have started with just letting him eat when he wanted. smile I really think that it would have worked, if you had stuck with it. I think you have gone in the opposite direction by allowing your son to have books, his calculator, puzzles, etc.-- and you've even read to him! This is active distraction from eating.

Without being judgmental, and as a layperson, I suspect that this is largely or wholly a training problem (although I certainly do believe that some children tend naturally to be less robust eaters, though those same children would respond to training). Children simply do not need stimulation other than their food during the eating process, and it may distract them. (How many children in the world would skip a meal to play video games, as a simple example? Are their internal appetite mechanisms broken, or have they been trained badly, through passivity or otherwise?) I would start by making mealtimes just about eating. I would also see a doctor to check whether there is something wrong with the functioning of the appestat in all of your children, if you continue to think that they will consistently refuse to eat when there is a lack of distracting stimuli at the dinner table.

In terms of combating pickiness, I have read and believe that you may have to introduce a new food just once or many times, depending on the little one and other training factors at work. So one thing you can try is repeatedly presenting a new food and providing genuine encouragement to eat it, which of course may include you eating the new food in front of them. If you or your mate are picky eaters, you must not display those behaviors in front of the children.

In training kids to be non-picky eaters, you should search out new and wacky foods for them to try, to enlarge the horizon of what they'll consider. Be positive and consistent. Make mealtimes just mealtimes. I think it will work, but it may take some time undoing their current habits.

My wife's side of the family is full of picky eaters, and my DS4 started exhibiting some similar traits until I realized he was picking it up from her. Today he's a ravenous little omnivore. The only thing in recent memory that he refused to eat was octopus in its own ink from a can, and that only after trying it-- and after I tried it I almost hurled myself. laugh

Last edited by Iucounu; 06/21/10 06:16 AM.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    Iucounu #78624 06/21/10 06:23 AM
    N
    N
    Eh, my kid has food issues, for sure, but I've always refused to make them my issues. She either eats or she doesn't, and she's in charge of that. She will often help me cook, eat a bunch of the ingredients raw, and then refuse to eat even a bite when the meal is done. Some days she barely eats anything. Other days she eats more than I do. She's perfectly healthy, and a normal weight, so I'm fine with that.

I consider it my job to provide a variety of healthy foods, and she does the rest.

Oh, and she really didn't eat solid food until she was one or one and a half. She just wasn't that into it, which was fine, because I nursed her until she was 2. smile

cricket3 #78626 06/21/10 06:45 AM
    J
    J
    Eh, my kid has food issues, for sure, but I've always refused to make them my issues. She either eats or she doesn't, and she's in charge of that. She will often help me cook, eat a bunch of the ingredients raw, and then refuse to eat even a bite when the meal is done. Some days she barely eats anything. Other days she eats more than I do. She's perfectly healthy, and a normal weight, so I'm fine with that.

It's actually healthier for a child to do this... it means his/her stomach/brain is teaching them when his/her body needs food and when it doesn't... as an overweight adult, I WISH I had this ability... ha. wink wink

Both DC can eat me out of house and home one day and absolutely nothing the next. Though we do make them sit down and eat at meal times, they are not forced to eat every single thing on their plates (though we don't put tons - rather them eat and ask for seconds than waste food). The thing we do focus on though is that they are not allowed to ask for "treats" if they did not eat a substantial amount of healthy food (at mealtime) first. DD4 is notorious for taking ONE bite and then asking for dessert!!

no5no5 #78627 06/21/10 06:46 AM
    B
    B
    Oh, no we have tons of food issues around here. Let me preface this with saying I am the oldest of 13 children, the last being twins I practically raised until they were 1.5 yo as my DSS had severe postpartum depression and then chemo treatments when they were a bit older.
    I know how to feed kids. MY kid, completely different. He was started out on only organic veggies and moved onto fruit etc. He was such a good little eater. Then one day around 15 mos. he threw his carrots. It was very odd. He never ate carrots again. Then it was all other veggies. Then it was all meat, rice, noodles etc. I was out of food. The only thing he would eat was bread and bananas! I got the advice to just not give him anything except the offending foods and he would eventually get hungry enough to eat them. I am not sure how long people expect a 2 year old to go without food but, after 2 days or so I had to give in! I started feeding him things I would never have just to find something he would eat. We ended up with certain types of chicken nuggets, cheese pizza (again only certain types), cheese/cheese sandwich, pb/pb sandwich, tortillas with cheese (only the wrapped type cheese) melted on it and a few fruits: bananas, apples, and oranges. He will NOT eat any vegetables. My DH won't eat any fruit he doesn't like the texture so maybe this is part of it. I don't know that I have ever met another kid that wouldn't eat mac and cheese or hot dogs, lol! He is nearly 5 and still eats like this. We have had many battles of us trying to get to eat a noodle or a bean.
    I am thinking the food groups idea is a good one. We might have to try that.

BigBadWool #78630 06/21/10 07:13 AM
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by BigBadWool
    We ended up with certain types of chicken nuggets, cheese pizza (again only certain types), cheese/cheese sandwich, pb/pb sandwich, tortillas with cheese (only the wrapped type cheese) melted on it and a few fruits: bananas, apples, and oranges.

I would consider the possibility of food intolerance such as gluten or casein intolerance. I've seen this identical combination of foods on the list of some kids who can't handle gluten or casein. It may seem paradoxical, but the intolerance causes the child to crave the exact food that they are least able to handle.

T
    TMJ Offline
    T
    I thought I'd share our experience with a fussy/non-eater, in case it sounds familiar to anyone reading...

DS was exclusively breastfed until he was 6mos, but was a wind and reflux inflicted baby until around 4mos, which the Ped. put down to a general case of colic. I continued to nurse DS until he self-weaned at 1yr, and he happily ate any sort of food we gave him in addition to the breastmilk.

At around 15mos he became what I'd call picky - literally picking through his meal, only eating the corn, for example, from his plate of vegies or only the pasta sheets from his lasagna. At about this time, he contracted a nasty case of gastro-entiritis from day care. This resulted in approximately 6 months of lactose intolerance, which the Ped. said could happen after severe gastro. It seemed feasible given that by age 2, he could tolerate dairy products again with no apparent reaction. The fussiness with food though, got progressively worse. By this stage, his diet resembled that of BigBadWool's son. The Ped. said that it was just a stage DS was going through, and was not at all concerned as DS appeared as a bright, energetic, tall-for-age child at all the follow up appointments.

We moved, and consequently had to see a new Pediatrician. He took one look at our then 3.5yo DS (who to this day continues to track 97%ile for height, 90%ile weight) and ordered blood work. Turns out our son is, not so surprisingly, very anaemic. We were immediately told to start DS on a high dose iron supplement, but at the 3 month review, his latest blood results showed no improvement at all. The Ped. was so surprised, he gently asked if I'd actually given DS the medicine! So, we did another 3 months with a higher dose and alas, still no change. DS is now having monthly blood tests as any lower, and he'll probably need a blood transfusion. As passthepotatoes mentioned, the Ped. has also indicated the link between food allergies and malabsorption so DS is also undergoing testing for these, with celiac disease the front-running possibility.

My point here is, if you feel that it's more than just normal childhood "fussiness" please see your doctor. As I said, DS has a normal appetite (just not nutritionally sufficient), is not failing to thrive and he appears to get through an 8hr day at Preschool just fine. The only symptoms he has is he's extremely pale, he tires very easily doing physical activity, and if he gets sick with anything, he gets very sick.

As a final bit of "food for thought" for any supporters of the idea that parents somehow create their children's food issues - I have two children. DD has been raised in the same environment as DS, with the same parenting style, and she has always had precisely ZERO issues eating meat, vegies or anything else we dish up.

TMJ #78677 06/21/10 08:06 PM
    We have had issues with our DD from a very early age but from what you described I think it isn't the same. My DD has a mild case of SI and it definitely is noticeable when it comes to food. Texture was a major issue and she hated meat. We just had to be patient with her and establish some rules about dinner time. She isn't required to eat everything on her plate but she is required to at least try it. What we have noticed is a few times of trying something she will finally accept it and eat it. Even something as simple as sprinkles on a shake was met with her spitting every last one out. I couldn't even feel them when I tried her shake, but she clearly could.

B
    B
    Hmmm interesting, I will for sure start looking into that!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM