Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 381 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    L
    Lori H. Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    My 12-year-old son asked me to stop watching him at acting practice and sit outside the room instead. I used to help him take notes but he found that he could compensate for the mild handwriting disability by writing down as much as he could, maybe just a word or two instead of a complete sentence, and then use his really good memory to fill in what he didn't get the first time. When that doesn't work, he asks someone when he gets a chance. So, problem solved--without mom.

He also let me know that I don't need to watch him as he is learning the dances any more. I was never very much help with that anyway. He always manages to learn them in time for the show.

As I sat outside the room, I could hear him laughing and talking more than he usually does when I am with him. I think he felt good when he walked in the room and four or five girls yelled his name and acted really happy to see him--until they saw me. I asked him if he noticed that and he said "Yes, I did, so PLEASE STAY AWAY MOM." He laughed when he said it, but I do get it.

I can see that he is perfectly capable of telling the teacher he needs to take a break and just watch. I think having to wear the scoliosis brace has made it easier for people to understand that he really does have a disability and they are willing to work around it.

Lori, That is so funny, good, and sad at the same time. How great for your son! I love it!! Nan (whose helicopter is still hovering)

This is a good thing!! Sounds like he is doing well... smile

LOL! I had my own small helicopter-ground moment last night. At a party, after clinging to me like a barnacle for half an hour, my two-year-old suddenly walked off to hang with kids she'd never met, first sternly telling me, "Mama stay here far away!"

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations