My 12-year-old son asked me to stop watching him at acting practice and sit outside the room instead. I used to help him take notes but he found that he could compensate for the mild handwriting disability by writing down as much as he could, maybe just a word or two instead of a complete sentence, and then use his really good memory to fill in what he didn't get the first time. When that doesn't work, he asks someone when he gets a chance. So, problem solved--without mom.

He also let me know that I don't need to watch him as he is learning the dances any more. I was never very much help with that anyway. He always manages to learn them in time for the show.

As I sat outside the room, I could hear him laughing and talking more than he usually does when I am with him. I think he felt good when he walked in the room and four or five girls yelled his name and acted really happy to see him--until they saw me. I asked him if he noticed that and he said "Yes, I did, so PLEASE STAY AWAY MOM." He laughed when he said it, but I do get it.

I can see that he is perfectly capable of telling the teacher he needs to take a break and just watch. I think having to wear the scoliosis brace has made it easier for people to understand that he really does have a disability and they are willing to work around it.