Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 371 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    My DD, just turned 4, went to OT for minor vestibular and proprioreceptive issues for a couple months. She hasn't been diagnosed with anything official. They primarily worked on her balance and gross motor coordination: climbing, walking on stepping stones, jumping into a ball pit etc. Prior to going, she just seemed more unsure of herself balancing on things or climbing things at the park so I think it helped with those very basic skills. Did she need OT for that? Maybe not, but it has been great to see how much more confident she is at the park.

As I have shared in other posts, she still has what appears to me to be sensory seeking tendancies, being set on HIGH almost all the time, and emotional sensitivity and I still wonder if any of that could be sensory in a way that would be helped by OT. This particular OT feels she is done with treatment, and that she only needed it for gross motor things (her fine motor is advanced) but we never really addressed this part of her behavior.

I have had two "experts" observe or assess her and neither thinks she has ADHD because she follows directions, can stay on task, and can sit for stories, and art projects and focus. She just gets way more excited about things than any other kid I have met. Maybe it is just being a gifted preschooler, but I do wonder if OT could help with energy and emotional regulation.

The OT is supposed to help with energy and emotional regulation. But we had a similar OT experience at age 5...the OT declared we were done. Now, at age 7, we are back in OT. I'm not sure what the deal is with OT as opposed to S/L therapy which can keep going and going forever. The first OT utilized the program "How does your Engine Run?" which specifically addresses emotional self-regulation. It did seem to work until fairly recently when the new OT we found said DS needed an upgrade to strategies for a 7 year old instead of relying on the strategies appropriate for a 5 year old. So are we in for a life-time of OT??? I don't know. This is private OT, by the way...he has OT and speech during school hours which are of extremely minimal benefit.

As for your daughter being on HIGH all the time, that is my son also. The OT didn't address that energy level (innate??) but did address getting him to focus when talking to others or when others talk to him. He vibrates when he has to sit or stand to listen...he would much prefer to pace or bounce when talking or listening. We have had him assessed for ADHD, too...but he doesn't come close, say the experts. Nan

T
    OP Offline
    T
    thanks for your response. My DD4 shakes and vibrates herself when she is excited. Her whole body trembles she is so overtaken by excitement and it may be from a minor thing. The OT we saw would just have her walk on stepping stones, jump from things, climb, etc. and there was nothing directed at self regulation. Truth be told, she is so much better than she was a year ago. I think I may just be burnt out by having two little girls 21 months apart who are both so bright and verbal and active so that their energy is a little overwhelming. Maybe she is "fine" and I am just tired LOL

What would you do if you were me? I am seeing the OT this morning. Would you ask about getting more treatment?

T
    OP Offline
    T
    thanks everyone. Well, we went today and after seeing some other kids coming and going, she actually seemed more contained and controlled (I feel bad saying that, but it did help me realize things could be much worse)so I felt better with just saying we met out goal of helping her be more confident climbing, balancing, etc. and just try to work her hard at home in order to tire her out a little (as if that is possible). The OT says she is just a highly energetic preschooler and that OT for sensory things is not necessary.

I agree with Cricket that vigorous exercise is essential. And that does get easier with age. With preschool age, we had to take DS to an outdoor park every day...otherwise evenings were difficult. For K and 1st grade he got to ride his bike to and from school every day, plus had swim team for 1 hour 3x per week.
    I do not think you will actually notice your daughter being tired, but it makes the general flow of things smoother. DS is on high until he is asleep...he moves around his bed telling me he is not tired til he is out. I'm glad you see a difference in your daughter with her balance and confidence...I'm sure your OT is right that that's all she needs! woo hoo smile

A
    Ace Offline
    A
    I would only worry about getting OT for sensory issues if you think it is causing her problems- which from your description, doesn't sound like it is the case. Being high energy and sensory seeking isn't something that needs to be addressed if it isn't affecting social skills, learning, behavior at school etc. Also, there are some OTs that are trained in SI and some that aren't- and there are different approaches as well. If you think that sensory issues are negatively affecting your child, seek out another OTs opinion. Your current OT may not be someone who does a lot of sensory practice. On the flip side, there are some OTs who focus on sensory issues- but almost to a fault. They see sensory "problems" with every person they are asked to assess. I guess my long winded point is- I wouldnt worry about it unless it is having negative consequences. And I am an OT!

Alison

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM