Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 308 guests, and 40 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #77334 06/02/10 05:25 PM
    mnmom23 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi all.

DS6 has always been very sensitive to light. As a baby he would cry when I'd take him out on a sunny day. He has a very hard time looking at a camera when we take pictures because the flash bothers him. Flourescent lights make his eyes water. He has to wear sunglasses a lot, including at the dentist when they shine the light on him while cleaning his teeth. The other day at his end-of-year concert his eyes started to water when, he says, all the parents were taking pictures of their kids and their cameras were flashing.

I've read about sensory sensitivities in gifted children and particularly in visual-spatial children, but I usually just hear about kids who are particularly sensitive to sound or tactile stimuli (e.g., tags, scratchy fabrics). I'm just curious if any of your kids have visual sensitivies as well?

She thought she could, so she did.
    My daughter has visual sensitivities but not to the level you described. She is very sensitive to the sunlight and has to wear sunglasses when outside, but even this isn't as extreme as it use to be. She has never had issues with camera flashes or light bulbs in general.

Haven't noticed it to any degree in the kids or grandkids, but I am extremely sensitive to light. Sometimes I have to wear sunglasses inside, if the florescent lights are a certain kind. I remember being extremely miserable during recess at elementary school when I had to go outside at recess. The sunlight after being inside would give me terrible headaches.

O
    O
    My DD7 is sensitive to the sun and complains it gives her a headache at recess too.

L
    L
    I am very sensitive to light, as is DC16. I sometimes still get headaches from fluorescent lights and lots of flashes of light.

J
    J
    cricket3 - this is true. I have blue eyes, and DH & DC have really dark brown eyes. None of them are as sensitive as I am to light.

Originally Posted by mnmom23
    Hi all.

DS6 has always been very sensitive to light. As a baby he would cry when I'd take him out on a sunny day. He has a very hard time looking at a camera when we take pictures because the flash bothers him. Flourescent lights make his eyes water. He has to wear sunglasses a lot, including at the dentist when they shine the light on him while cleaning his teeth. The other day at his end-of-year concert his eyes started to water when, he says, all the parents were taking pictures of their kids and their cameras were flashing.

DS7 to the t. Dental check up is a nightmare for him and therefore for me as well frown I even took him to a pediatric ophthalmologist when he was little because he was so sensitive. The ophthalmologist told me that he did it to get my attention and gave me a parenting lesson. mad What a jerk.

We all have blue eyes but DS7 by far the most sensitive of us.

LMom

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM