Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 270 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    C
    Hijacking flower's thread- my apologies but I hope it's useful to you as well!

G3- his FSIQ on the SB5 and the WISC only have a 3 pt difference. But his GAI puts him 10 pts higher. Our tester refused to use extended norms for the WISC for him- by her definition you must have a 19 on two tests in the same section, not just on any two or more subtests- not just an 18 or 19 on any two subtests. It's kind of complicated :-) She also won't do any extended norms on the SB5 because she believes them to be totally invalid and not normed across enough students.

DS7 totally rocked the working memory portions of the WISC but is petrified of timed tests and bombed block design, primarily because of the stopwatch. He saw her start it and said "what's that? why are you timing me? what are you doing? why is that out?" and couldn't be reassured to get going. He also had trouble with coding for similar reasons.

I've seen the SB5 calculations where you can look at separate subtest scores for certain indications and they are interesting if nothing else!

As for the kind of student he is- he's extremely witty, logical, verbal and sarcastic. The kind of student that teachers either love or hate. We happen to have a teacher who totally adores him, sense of humor and all. He is grade skipped and still at 99th percentile in standardized testing and is just hungry for more... but only at school. At home? He's a video game, leave me alone and let me watch TV kind of kid.

C
    C
    I also really dont understand extended norms, especially if one of the articles linked in this thread, says that the highest score that was received when they normed the SB 5 was 148. Where is the validity for extended norm testing? I also am skeptical of extended norm testing on both SB 5 and the WISC IV.

I think all of these tests get fuzzy at some point, IQ testing isnt an exact science. I do think, that the 160 ceiling isnt valid, yet I have no solutions. I agree with G3 that doesnt seem quite right to compare a SB 5 FSIQ with a GAI score from the WISC IV. Then again a SB 5 FSIQ score and a WISC IV FSIQ dont necessarily neatly line up too.

I do have a child that scored in the 150s for FSIQ on the SB 5. I dont know, whether that is underscore or an overestimate? At the end of the day, I have not really worried too much about that score, and instead have relied and advocated based on the achievement testing that dc did, as it seems in many ways more valid, especially as it was normed two years older than my dc was at the time and my dc hit many ceilings.

I guess going back to the original poster Flower, and I do hope all is well with you. Sounds like you have had a busy time! I think, you can only advocate with the child that you have infront of you and the needs that you see. I know families with children hitting in the 120s on the SB 5 and their children have been successfully accelerated.

Thank you as well for starting this thread.

BTW G3 what is blokus?! LOL!

F
    flower Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    Hi everyone, its really fun to see where everyone has taken this thread I think they are called... My husband is better but still under the weather with increasing pain again..... So I am just grabbing a quick moment because I also have a dd20months that needs tending.
    Again thank-you Dottie, do you want how the numbers were added to get the Fluid Reasoning score? Would that help fill in any blanks.. I don't have them in front of me at this moment but would be happy to give them to you if you need them. You asked about three dimensional stuff, geometry etc. and thinking that might be a bit difficult for her by her IQ score numbers. I am curious why you ask that? Is that related to NV and also her spatial score was 120 or something... Maybe I have to look that up to be more precise in what I am saying....but it was one of her higher scores.

I am curious also that her quanatative reasoning was like one of her lowest scores. It seems with her math that should be a higher score. Wouldn't a kid who does more advance math score higher there?

Sometimes I really want to get her tested on the WISC just to have her verbal abilities have a cahance to shine. It has been an awful process for her because she was soooo bored in school etc. and then not to be able to receive services based on the testing.... and then to see that all her friends were going to be able to receive services but not her its just been hard. There is this side of me that wants to get her the higher scores so she can have it.... but its a risk because she may not score higher.... and the last thing she needs is another test that she "fails" because she doesn't get the score...We of course told her all the "right" things one is suppose to say before the test but she knew what it meant....more boredom..more isolation etc. almost like punishment...anyways I better go and I am wandering all over her...

F
    flower Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    Thank-you again Dottie. Hubby is doing much better, phew.... You did mention the SAT and we are looking into that slowly. Thanks everyone for this thread and input! I have another thread to start under 2E as she was prescribed process glasses and I do not know anythign about them.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM