Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 193 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    G
    GM5 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Warning - longer post than planned.

GD (turned 6 a few days ago) in Kindergarten was tested by school diagnostician (who admits is not very familiar with gifted kids) performed these tests at 5-11 all during one day. (She obviously is not exp. with GT kids since she had never tested a child in PS who scored so high.) She says she told GD up front that she didn't have to complete all the tests because she could still get an idea. She apparently did complete them with prodding but would not even attempt multiplication though she knows the concept although not been worked on it. She has been given NO acceleration in Kind.

Anyway, I know the KABC-II is not used by many testers. I would appreciate any insight into her scores. No GE's were given & no Percentiles were given on WJ-III.

KABC-II

Composite Indexes Std Scores/Scaled Scores Percentile Rank

FCI 138 99

Sequential 112 79
    Number Recall 11 63
    Word Order 13 84

Simultaneous 135 99
    Conceptual Thinking 14 91
    Pattern Reasoning 16 98
    Triangles 16 98

Learning 123 94
    Atlantis 15 95
    Rebus 13 84

Knowledge 141 99.7
    Riddles 17 99
    Expressive Vocab. 17 99

Concentration issues and interest may have played a part in the number recall and word order subtests.

WJ-III
    Standard Score Percentile RPI
    (based on age norms) 68% Band

Basic Reading 142 141-144 100/90
    Letter/Word Id 142 141-144 100/90
    Word Attack 132 130-134 100/90
    Reading Fluency 135 129-140 99/90
    Reading Comprehension
    Passage Comprehens 126 123-129 100/90
    Math Calculation 128 124-132 99/90
    Calculation 130 126-135 100/90
    Math Fluency 113 108-117 93/90
    Math Reasoning
    Applied Problems 121 116-126 99/90
    Written Expression
    Writing Samples 121 117-124 100/90
    Spelling 124 120-128 100/90

She also said GD was reading on a "Q" level which from what I found online is 4th grade which sounds right. She is a very fluent reader so I was a little surprised at the lower reading fluency score. I did wonder if the fact that she has Speech articulations problems (test at 2 percentile) may have affected the tester understanding her words.

The testing was done as part of an evaluation which basically ended up with speech articulation deficits and "General Anxiety" - she has high anxiety especially at school.

I was wondering how the KABC-II test compares to the more familiar SB-5 and WISC IQ tests. I was hoping/expecting HG scores based on real life experiences - would these scores be considered MG?

Earlier this year she scored 136 on the Naglieri and Stanford Achievement group testing percentile results given as Reading - 99 and Math as 96 with composite of 97 percentile which qualifies for GT program (such as it is). During this testing we were told she was distracted quite often & not always listening so even Math results OK.

We have been struggling to get her some more advanced work as she has been extremely bored and therefore acting out all year. It's hard for a child reading at 4th gr. level to daily have to cut out & match the word car to a picture etc. (this was last week). She is not the type to just sit there and do the K work without protesting or refusing at times.

Sorry for getting into more than the test scores - any input appreciated though.

G
    GM5 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Dottie - Thank you for all the information.

There was no additional information provided for the WJ-III. Since there were no percentiles or GE's provided (no raw scores either) I wasn't sure if her scores were high enough to help in advocating for her at school. So percentiles would be from the 15 SD chart like on IQ tests? I guess we could ask for raw scores or if GE's were calculated but would it help for advocacy purposes?

Did she not get several composite scores on the WJ-III because they don't do all the tests at her age or were some left out or what do you think?

Again, thanks for taking the time to go over all of this.

G
    GM5 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Thanks again, Dottie. Could the school diagnostician just have decided to not give her some tests thinking she didn't need that much info for her purposes? Or is it normal not to get these scores at that age?

Anyway, I am very proud of her accomplishments and how well she did. I just feel like I need every bit of leverage showing more than "optimally/typically gifted" to get her what she needs academically in this particular school. All year they've said "we have lots of gifted kids" and she needs to deal with being bored etc. They did take her (and only her) to the 1st grade gifted pullout for math. The GT coordinator said GD was the 1st to get the answer (some 2nd gr. math concept thing) and was ready to move on to something else & didn't want to wait for the other kids & the GT Coord. to explain to them. I can't imagine how she'll react then even in next year's 1st grade beginning of year pullouts.

Anyway, thanks again. If I ask for raw scores, would there be enough subtests/composites to figure GE's anyway?

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM