Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #76535 05/21/10 09:58 AM
    OP Offline

Hi,

Any one who could shed any insight would be appreciated!
    How would you interpret scores that range from average to ceiling with an overall low FSIQ? It was a really odd presentation of numbers. Anyone else see this much? What are the possible interpretations?
    Right now we are homeschooling upon recommendation and we'll see if the scores change over time. Hmmmm....the child is a puzzle.
    Okay, when I say overall low FSIQ...I should really say in the moderately gifted range, not low. Low is probably the wrong terminology! smile

Thanks,
    Crazy Daisy

Last edited by crazydaisy; 05/21/10 10:03 AM.
    FSIQ doesnt mean much with that kind of range. What kinds of questions were u hoping to answer by testing?
    smiles
    grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    FSIQ doesnt mean much with that kind of range. What kinds of questions were u hoping to answer by testing?
    smiles
    grinity

OP Offline
    Well...really we were shedding some light on all the school issues! And this certainly did just that. She'd be a tricky kid to teach in a regular classroom I think. And then, testing gave a lot of really valuable information to me for homeschooling in combination with her achievment score. I've got a lot more information now about not only what she already knows, but her learning style. Now I know what an interesting kid she is. I knew it before, and the test just solidified my doing the right thing in homeschooling her right now. And, BTW, she's happier than she's been in a long time since we pulled her out of school. So...I guess that testing just helped shore up what I knew was best. Even if I know something instinctually, getting a second opinion helps.

I thought I'd ask the question on here to see if anyone else had experience with scores like that. I'm hoping that being out of school will let her be more "her". And really, the scores don't matter after this initial test. More of an "interest". I've always been a researcher and puzzle solver by heart, and now I've the most intriguing puzzle in my own family. Really, nothing matter on paper, except what I see in front of me....a really happy child!!!

Thanks Grinity!
    CrazyDaisy laugh

J
    J
    Is that possible? If the range is average to ceiling, how could the FSIQ score be low?

I suggest you post the numbers, maybe a mistake was made.

J
    J
    Originally Posted by kcab
    yup, it's definitely possible. Note that she said MG range for the FSIQ. That's not truly low.

I completely missed that!

Originally Posted by crazydaisy
    She'd be a tricky kid to teach in a regular classroom I think.

Just plain Moderately Gifted, without all the peaks and dips, can be difficult for many teachers to teach in a regular classroom, although with some though and some accomidation it certainly can be successful.

And then, testing gave a lot of really valuable information to me for homeschooling in combination with her achievment score.

Yippee! It seems to me that if you are homeschooling her, you deserve the support of valuable information. Go you for going ahead and getting it!

I've got a lot more information now about not only what she already knows, but her learning style. Now I know what an interesting kid she is.

Just curious - is she rather stronger on WM or Processing Speed? Do you see that in action while homeschooling, or do you think perfectionism or anxiety cut in to her processing speed scores?

And, BTW, she's happier than she's been in a long time since we pulled her out of school. Really, nothing matter on paper, except what I see in front of me....a really happy child!!!

I'm so glad that your DD is happy - that's key, and now you are happy too!

((whisper)) Lots of folks forget that Davidson Youngs Scholar Program couldn't care less about FSIQ. On WISC IV one can qualify with Verbal Comprehension, Perceptual Reasoning, or General Ability Index (GAI) Oh go ahead and peek: http://www.davidsongifted.org/young...holars___Qualification_Criteria_384.aspx

Not that there is anything wrong with NOT qualifying for YSP!!! Not by a long shot.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

OP Offline
    She won't qualify for YSP. And that's okay, since she's happy right now, right? Testing, hmmm. All I can say, is that word processing speed was low. Not a surprise. She's extremely deliberate, and the tester noted that she took sheer pleasure in taking her time and discerning pattern and appeared to enjoy the process with little to no concern in the time factor. Her scores in Verbal were 16, 14, and 10. Verbal comprehension, surprisingly to me, was a low point. However, living in a rural community with no TV, my understanding is that her score may reflect her environment. Perceptual reasoning, she completed all material in Matrix reasoning, hence the 19. As well as 16 in picture concepts. Again all being pulled down by an average score on block design, which is no surprise. She's never been a gifted puzzle kid. And word processing, well...she was just not at ALL interested in time and thoroughly enjoying herself, which doesn't score so well.

As far as not being taught in the regular classroom, I think that depends on where you live. I think a skilled teacher in a regular classroom would be great. I think a gifted classroom would be great, even with the scatter of scores. I'm just working with what I have...NONE of the above. So...in that case, I'm homeschooling right now. The future may hold different, who knows.

Additionally, she's gotten a lot of negative messages about school. She's an 4th grade reader in a kindergarten classroom, interested in Greek mythology and reading enclyclopedias about dogs and horses. She has interests that our outside the box! She's extremely creative,a energetic. I suppose this test just led me to give her more of what she love naturally and isn't able to do at school right now.....LOVE LEARNING!

Thanks for all who have input! I find it all utterly fascinating. I equally enjoy reading everyone elses stories as well. Kids are incredible!

Thanks!
    Crazy Daisy

OP Offline
    perhaps I should have really titled this topic...WISC gives "interesting" results! smile

OP Offline
    Working memory wasn't as impressive as the verbal and PRI scores. Her PRI overall was 130, real similar to your friends. Her reading on achievement is <99.9% on comprehension and basic reading skills. I'd be curious to hear how your friends son has done, with similar attributes. It would be tricky as well with the dsylexia certainly! Interesting to me how you can have 14's, 16's, a 19, and still 10's in the numbers. Very interesting. Well, not unlike my daughter. She's pretty interesting. I do think though, that she may have tested higher had it not been so far into school. I don't know if this makes sense, but she seemed more "mainstream intelligent" before she went to preschool. A couple of years in the system and she is a little different that way. Call it maturity, or whatever. I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if she would've tested better before Kindergarten gave her such a bad taste for school and learning in general.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM