Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 359 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #75574 05/06/10 02:04 PM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    We visited a pediatric developmentalist that was recommended by the GDC and my ds was diagnosed as having NLD. One of the recommendations was that we have him assessed by an OT, and have IQ testing. We approached our district, and they did a thorough assessment by a psychologist, SLP, OT, and resource teacher (IQ testing). We just got the results and his scores were much higher than the independent testing we had done initially. I'm not sure if they actually have ruled out his LD however. If they don't show an LD, does this mean that he doesn't have NLD?

I was with him during all of the testing, and he REFUSED to guess on any answers. He also went through the test rapidly, which drove me a bit batty because if the answer wasn't on the tip of his tongue he refused to answer. If he had sat with the question for a moment, I know he would have come up with the answer but I sat in the background on my hands while biting my tongue.

The one thing that came up with two different assessors was that he needs to have his eye convergence issues looked at further. His convergence is around 8-10 inches (it should be 2), and when he's really concentrating he is working a few inches away from his paper.

The other suggestion was that his pragmatic language was quite low, but he is one sarcastic kid so I'm a bit flumoxed.

I don't know how to interpret his scores or even which ones to post. He took the WJ-III form B.

Last edited by Christen99; 05/06/10 02:05 PM.
    One things I've read on this forum is that kids with LD's are consistently inconsistent, which sounds like what you are seeing in the testing numbers anyway.
    Are you seeing any issues in school? Did you say what age he is?

L
    L
    My son with motor dyspraxia is definitely inconsistent. People thought he had to be lazy when they saw he could do something easily one day and have difficulty the next, especially in things like piano, handwriting and dancing.

It is difficult for my son to work on something like piano all week and then not do as well as he did the week before when he didn't practice at all but the teacher thought he did because he did so well. This is very frustrating for him.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    We actually homeschool him, and this is the end of our first year. Thankfully so, so that I can make accomodations in his learning right away if need be. He is 10, nearly 11 and we have never had any issues at school behavioral or academic. We pulled him out because he was consistently bored, and reading several chapter books per day while remaining on the honor roll. I had him home a week before realizing something wasn't quite adding up with him. He couldn't remember his basic math facts (his processing speed is sloooowwww), and telling time was extremely difficult. He can't summarize what he's read, but he can tell you every single thing that was in the book. He's amazing at remembering facts! He is also extremely clumsy, so I decided to visit a developmental ped. and she diagnosed him as most likely having Non-Verbal Learning Disorder. She sent us on our way for testing, and they found it to be probable as well. The visual perception was total throwing the tester off though because it was quite high for someone with NLD from what she said.

We just had a visit with our ped. because he's had a ton of facial ticking in the last few months. He said it felt like something was in his eye, and he was rubbing at the corner of it. While we were in the office, the doctor was asking him to look at different things on the wall and he was seeing so much of his world DOUBLE. I was totally shocked because he wasn't saying that at home, but he said it's always been that way. He has convergence issues, and his convergence is way out there around a foot or so. We have an appointment with a ped. opthamologist, as well as an appointment with the UC Berkeley Eye Clinic in a few months (the soonest we could get in). I'm almost thinking that this vision thing could be at the bottom of what we've been seeing with him but I won't know for sure until we have his vision checked. He has totally normal vision, with a slight astygmatism and they've never picked up on this at yearly comprehensive eye exams.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations