Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 359 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #74315 04/18/10 08:56 PM
    NTmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    My DS7 has been pleading/bargaining/asking for a Wii daily for about the last 4 months. Grandma is willing to buy it for both our sons for their birthdays this year. My concern is regarding what games are available that don't include fighting and weapons and, if possible, that have some educational component. Do these exist? Any recommendations?

My other concern is that we limit how much it is used. We have talked with our sons about this and let them know that they would only be able to use it on the weekend and that they'll have to earn their time during the week (like we have them do for computer time already). Do any of you have any suggestions on how to keep Wii time (and whining for it) under wraps?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

NTmom #74320 04/18/10 11:18 PM
    W
    W
    That made me think! Wii Sports and Wii Fit are both non-fighting. Not EXACTLY educational, but not horrible. There are some snowboarding games. There's Endless Ocean (think that's the name), but I don't know how interesting it is.

For what it's worth, pretty much EVERY boy I know loves Wii Lego Star Wars, including my two (5.8 & 3.2), but it does have fighting and isn't educational.

We just don't let them play if they are getting addicted to it. We tell them if it's becoming that important to them they need a break since it is just a game and not that important in the grand scheme of things. It makes them annoyed and pissy for a bit, but then they get over it.

Wyldkat #74321 04/19/10 01:39 AM
    C
    C
    We don't have a Wii, but we did allow another console into our home. We've had it for 1 1/2 years, and we have very strict rules surrounding it. We only allow it for 1 hour every other week, and they have to earn that hour through chores. They do work hard to earn it, which I'm glad to see however I can't stand the behavior afterwards (and sometimes during!). We don't allow shooting games, and we don't allow violent games with fighting. We also don't allow them to play the games together because we have a 5 year age difference I know it would erupt because they have strong perfectionist personalities and I know if one does better than the other it would cause an issue. My 6 year old has issues with anything flying in the video game, because he's highly visual spatial and claims it's trying to get him. We just recently ditched Veggietales because it had flying objects, so he's down to a just driving, and snowboard games.

I have noticed some behavioral issues from both of them afterwards. My youngest will talk about the games incessantly for a few days afterwards.

I actually wish we had never gotten the console, and dh and I discussed getting rid of it today. Today was game day, and after each playing for an hour they spent the next 2 hours being grouchy towards each other and having short tempers.

I konw that games are popular, but they just haven't worked for us even with limits. We actually became tv free in January, and I have seen a huge difference in the kids since then.

Christen99 #74323 04/19/10 03:26 AM
    Wii Fit Plus has a math-fact game where you have to bump things with your hips to add up numbers. You have to have Wii fit first and the balance board. There are many other very fun/funny games in the fit series.
    Lego games are usually ok because instead of blood and guts the characters fly into pieces and come back pretty quick (although I can see how some folks would say that is in fact bad)

Lego Rock band could be good, no fighting, this is funner if they are familiar with the songs I think. (requires at least a microphone)
    Cars has driving, two person competitions and no fighting. My ds9 still plays it from time to time with dd, but it is not his fave as it is for younger kids.
    There are many downloadable games for around $5-$10 that are like the old fashioned arcade games. Also all the mario games seem to avoid out and out violence, but there are things that are indeed out to get you, so you have to gauge your own child's reaction to each. They might be able to sample play some of these at a store, and reviews online often include some screen shots of what action is involved.

My kids probably watch a bit too much tv and games, but seriously have too many other things going on to have it dominate. For our ds with some social issues, sometimes the games are a great way to get a kid over to play and then things segue into other games.
    Best of luck whatever you decide.
    One thing you might allow is sort of a binge when they first get it (shocking I know) they can get a lot of the anxiety over playing out of their system in 1 weekend and then limiting their time becomes less of a hassle.

NTmom #74350 04/19/10 09:47 AM
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by NTmom
    Do any of you have any suggestions on how to keep Wii time (and whining for it) under wraps?

Make him earn it. E.g., all homework, piano practice, etc. must be finished first. Or any chores must be done. Essentially, it's a carrot (reward/bribe?) to get him to do anything that he resists.

If necessary, limit it to the weekend.

We are growing a few young Wii addicts here, and I have every intention of using this to my advantage.

snowgirl #74360 04/19/10 12:20 PM
    We like the Mario Party games and also Pokemon games because we can all play as a family and the activities are varied. Other favorites of the kids are Monkey Ball and Zelda Twilight Princess.

I find that they get really jazzed up about one game or the other and play like mad for several days and then they will go weeks without touching the Wii.

Breakaway4 #74402 04/19/10 06:30 PM
    We have the Wii with Wii Fit board. We use it mostly during the winter time when our kids are indoors more than outdoors. Summer time it sits unused unless a friend stops over.

I like the games that are more active like sports and party games. This allows the kids to move and interact with each other. DS5 did get SuperMario for Christmas and we have played that as a family. DD11 loves a game where she is on a safari and has to take pictures of animals and plants, but I am not sure of the name. Another fun game for our family has been guitar hero and we can play together at different levels. Added bonus is that DD11 has been introduced to the music DH and I used to listen to. "Eye of the Tiger" is her favorite.

For DS5 Wii has been an earned reward instead of something he is allowed to play every day.

Mommy2myEm #74414 04/19/10 07:33 PM
    M
    Mag Offline
    M
    There is a Wii game called "Big Brain Academy." It is consisted of five areas: memory, analysis, number crunching, visual recognition, and quick thinking. There are different games and levels within each area. For some of the more difficult (expert or platinum) levels, even adults might find them challenging.

Mag #74487 04/20/10 02:18 PM
    NTmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks, everyone! These are very useful suggestions!

NTmom #74490 04/20/10 03:10 PM
    J
    J
    It is good to discuss the emotions, even what an adult feels, with the child.

What feeling does one get when winning? When losing? When tried so many times and still not winning/doing well?

What can we do when one is feeling that way?
    How can we catch ourselves when we start to feel that way? What would you like to choose to do when that happens, etc.?

What if I'm not able to catch myself this time from getting very frusterated, is it ok? Should I try again next time?

etc etc
    smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM