Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 357 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #73328 04/06/10 12:14 PM
    V
    vicam Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    Met last Friday to write IEP for DS8 in 3rd grade. We wrote the IEP on his tourettes. When I tried to get elements of the gifted issue addressed I was shot down. I can say that the speech and occupational therapist were right there with me. I made sure to get as many minutes a month with them as possible. Just so he is with people who get it. His one teacher said "He still makes noises, He stops when you ask him and then just starts up again" She just doesn't get it. I swear I saw the OT roll her eyes as she tried to explain his needs one more time.
    When I pressed for pretesting as suggested by Dr. Amend, the issue was raised of what will he do then? He wouldn't get any instruction if different things were given to him. I did sign the IEP b/c I want him to start getting some services. but I am still ready to take on the old paradigm and said maybe its time to make some changes.

vicam #73331 04/06/10 12:37 PM
    I completely understand where you are. My DS7 (autism) also makes noises or hums and the art teacher said the exact same thing! "I tell him to stop and he does, but then he starts up again just to get on my nerves." (okaaaayyyyy.....!) The special ed liasion rolled her eyes at US when we requested formal gifted identification. (He already had the required IQ and she implied that he wouldn't make the other qualifications...which he did with flying colors LOL.) Two teachers on his entire team seem to be able to work with the gifted requirements and accommodate for the other parts...the rest of the teachers and the administration see only the dreaded autism!!!!! It's hard. Nan

Kate #73338 04/06/10 01:36 PM
    M
    M
    I have the opposite problem, all the school sees is Jacob's giftedness and none of the Tourette Syndrome, ADHD, and OCD. We were denied an IEP and 504 by the school. The say that he gets in trouble when he's bored and so they've skippend him one full grade and are wanting him to skip another.
    Becky

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM