Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 371 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    G
    gargi Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    My DD is 2years and 8 months and can read sentences now. She was ready to read five months ago I intentionally delayed it. But can't do that anymore she opens a book and starts sounding them. So I had to get her bob books. She can read them very easily. She thinks reading is play.

I am excited that my daughter can read and understand addition and subtraction etc etc etc... I am worried at the same time. I don't want her to skip grade when she is in school and be with older kids. Socializing skills and intelligence are two different things I think.

What do you think? This question bothers me a lot.

L
    L
    Sounds like how I was with my DD. I delayed her quite a lot just because she wasn't "supposed" to be reading at 2yrs. But she kept teaching herself and I finally realized it's what she needs. She thrives on it.

The school factor is a huge issue.. with a lot of people. However, it may not be as bad as you would at first think. If your daughter is advanced in many more areas than just reading then older kids may actually be the right peer group for her. My 3 year old gravitates to 5 & 6 year olds... she knows they are her equals.

N
    N
    How do you delay reading in a child who has taught herself?

L
    L
    Originally Posted by no5no5

I think that means... you don't encourage it and you don't help knowing helping would advance their reading skills considerably.

G
    G
    2 yrs 8 mnths reading sentences should I encourage

How could you not? You could hide all the books but she would start reading labels! Seriously, gifted children "crave" knowledge and is just a neccessity as food, water and love.

And about grade skipping later on, my daughter has been held with her age mate peers for years and is miserable. Finally, got the word, she will be skipping next year. She is very excited. But you still have years to worry about that one.

N
    N
    Originally Posted by Littlewisestone

I think that means... you don't encourage it and you don't help knowing helping would advance their reading skills considerably.

How could you know that?

If "discouraging" means not teaching, then I think discouraging is a great idea at 2. If "discouraging" means removing books or scolding, then I think it's an awful idea at any age. If "encouraging" means reading to a child, and listening to a child read when the child wants to, I think it's a great idea at any age. If "encouraging" means explicit, parent-directed teaching, I think it's a terrible idea at 2. JMHO. smile

N
    N
    Originally Posted by gargi
    I am worried at the same time. I don't want her to skip grade when she is in school and be with older kids.

I think you should try to keep an open mind and remember that whatever accommodations your DD may need in school, they aren't going to be because of something you did or didn't do at 2. If she is going to need a grade skip, no amount of holding back is going to prevent it. If she isn't, no amount of pushing will cause it. smile

G
    gargi Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    That's good to hear. That means their emotional abilities will be advanced too right ? Did anybody have an experinence where you thought your child was not emotionaly mature enough to be with older kids though she or he was very intelligent?

The rate at which my DD is going right now I think she will be very advanced by the time she gets to first grade. Do the private schools give some kind of scholarships? I just want to know this for the sake of information.

She is who she is.

What you fear for her is not what she will come to fear.

Right now she does not know or think that she has to associate with age peers. When she has nothing in common with them, but comes to feel guilt because she cannot please you, then she may have a fear that she does not have now.

Here is a short article on peers.

http://www.dukegiftedletter.com/articles/vol4no1_feature.html

How can you help your gifted children find true peers? The key is to locate programs and events that encourage mixed-age grouping so that they can interact with children of various ages and interests. For example, in rural areas, 4-H, Scouting, faith-based groups, book clubs, chess clubs, and music programs are good bets. In more populated areas, Montessori schools, academic or creative clubs and teams, and volunteer programs at museums, hospitals, and businesses are good places to start. Programs especially designed for gifted children may be helpful: summer or weekend camps for children of high ability, early entrance college programs, or support groups such as state and local gifted associations or organizations like the Davidson Institute for Talent Development.

Gifted children blossom when they have true peers for friends. Their enthusiasm and energy are contagious as they spur one another on to greater achievement, leadership, and creativity. They are more willing to take realistic risks and reach for higher goals in this company. They develop a better understanding of themselves and of their role in the world around them. They are happy, excited about life, and eager to enjoy it.

I recommend Dr Ruf's book as a starting point.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Losing-Our-Minds/Deborah-L-Ruf/e/9780910707701

Our son at 26 months is a lot like your DD. We just take one day at a time. He is who he is.

Last edited by Austin; 04/06/10 10:34 AM.
    O
    O
    Originally Posted by gargi
    My DD is 2years and 8 months and can read sentences now. She was ready to read five months ago I intentionally delayed it. But can't do that anymore she opens a book and starts sounding them. So I had to get her bob books. She can read them very easily. She thinks reading is play.

I am excited that my daughter can read and understand addition and subtraction etc etc etc... I am worried at the same time. I don't want her to skip grade when she is in school and be with older kids. Socializing skills and intelligence are two different things I think.

What do you think? This question bothers me a lot.

You are in a great position knowning this so early. I didn't really know our situation until 2nd grade.

My suggestion is read everthing you can on the Davidson website and their book "Genius denied". Start looking into schools. I was very unfamiliar with gifted and thought this school has a gifted program we are set. You would benefit from looking at private, charter, gifted, homeschooling, public and montessorri. It's much better to learn what is available ahead of the need.

A few things I learned:

My PG child learns with 1 to 2 repetions, while average student learns at 7 to 9. This can make it very boring for a eager learner.

If they don't pretest your child may be taught daily what they already know, even in a gifted program.

Most teachers don't understand gifted needs and teach to the average child.

If you need help with anything just ask here. There is lots of experience. Enjoy this time with your little one and try not to worry. YOu will find a way.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM