Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 414 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #71721 03/17/10 03:52 PM
    OP Offline
    I met a pushy mom.

Her almost two year old HAS SIGHT WORDS. And LIKES BOOKS. And does all kinds of things. And she hasn't a clue how he learned any of it.

Although he clearly had been trained on some things, and didn't seem like a dull sparrow or anything... um. Well. DS (<1yr) does very nearly everything she described him as doing (not sight words wink ). The kid may well be gifted, he's two and has a world of time in which to blossom, but he ain't gonna get anywhere with it if he hears THAT wall to wall.

I was... floored. I can see why people are scared of running into someone who does THAT.

Just needed to say it out... erm... quiet... whistle
    I'm never saying anything anywhere but here again! Just in case!

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    N
    N
    What was the context in which she was saying all of this, I wonder? Was she just talking to you, or was she announcing it to a roomful of parents?

Perhaps you haven't added enough info here, but isn't it possible her child is gifted? Maybe she is boasting which rubbed you the wrong way but as a gifted community, I feel we need to stand together and support each other. How many of us complain that we get treated as pushy parents and learn quickly to keep our mouths shut, but wish our society wouldn't treat us this way. Could this woman just not have gotten the memo? Again, it is very possible that she is a pushy mom, but with what you wrote, I don't really see evidence of it. Pushing or not ... a child under the age of two knowing sight words is impressive. However, as I typed that I remember that infomericial for My baby can read or something. If this mom is one of those ... than you have a valid point. smile

B
    B
    Katelyn'sMom, I felt the same way as what you posted. When I first read the post it brough back immediate bad memories of when I first realized that my child was a little different. I tried sharing with other moms I knew in hopes of finding someone to connect with and see if I could find others who went through the same daily ins and outs that my DH and I were going through..I felt like we were on an iceburg floating around in this huge sea all alone. When I would finally jump in and share when other moms were talking/sharing about their kids, I would get the "look" and I quickly learned not to talk about my child in front of other moms anymore.
    But if she really is a pushy mom, then it could be really annoying.

OP Offline
    She was broadcasting for over an hour, during a program where most of the other parents were genuinely worried that their kids were behind. She stayed late to continue. I did talk to the kid, and yeah, he may well be gifted. I noticed that he was doing some much more complex things with me than the ones his mother was talking about and that she was shutting him down when he did them.

If she had once seemed to notice his presence beyond shoveling food into him, and asking him to do tricks, I might have felt better about it.

(the sight-words were titles of favorite books, which doesn't seem really out there to me... is that really seeing a word, or is it recognizing the spine of a book?)

Last edited by Michaela; 03/17/10 07:57 PM.

N
    N
    Aww, well that is sad, then. frown Let's just hope she was having a socially inappropriate moment and doesn't treat him like that all of the time.

I think "wall to wall" is your key phrase there... and I know someone I'd like to lock her in a room with. eek

It's not about the kid at all.... and it's nothing like appropriate sharing in a group with others. It's about a parent who has no other possible topic of conversation, doesn't let anyone get a word in edgewise, and latches on to one or two bits of "proof" and will not let go. And what's weird is that in the cases I've known (I think I've met more than my fair share...) the things they latch on to are really much less interesting than the real kid. It's like they've checked off a "standard gifted kid" checklist, found their couple bits of "proof" and nevermind that they have this actual kid with actual talents that would make much better conversation.

Erica
    OP Offline
    I often have some trouble finding stuff to talk about with other parents. If I'm in a group where people tend to be competitive and judgmental, the combination of using a minority parenting style and having a kid who was crazy precocious and now is just showing very odd development means every topic is full of landmines. It can be hard to get off a topic once it's broken (yeah, you saw him walking at 7 mos. Yeah, he's doing it about the same as he was then. No, not really any different. Yeah, about 2-3 times a week. No, not really any more stable. Yep. Just the same. Really. The same.)

I haven't found a good solution yet. And I'm a talkative sort, so I WANT to talk. Lately I've been kinda making friends with a few individuals in a group who take a more "Oh, he does that, eh? Interesting..." kind of approach to life. And then we spend a lot of time whispering in corners, which annoys the staff smile (the staff are easily annoyed, I got in trouble for reading a book to DS in a reading program the other day. Apparently he's not supposed to be interested in books that long yet, and reading the actual words is to complex for him, "developmentally speaking," so instead, I should sing a short jingle three times and only show him a few pages. Even if he's the one turning pages, and begging me to keep reading with those cute little eyes of his. And the look I got when they pressed me to NAME the bedtime story we "use...")

And sometimes I just talk to the kids and ignore the parents. It's surprisingly easy to make a joke like "Well, tom/dick/harry, I think your mom expects me to talk to HER, now why would I do a thing like that when I've got such a lovely little boy to talk to..." and get away with it!

Anyway, I really am kinda scared of doing something like that by accident, especially in groups where the standard conversation begins with "how old is ___" and proceeds through the milestone chart from there... And I'm deeply afraid of missing the boat on DSs interests. I think that's just me, because I was having nightmares about not understanding what he needed before he was born. I'm pretty sure I can avoid some of the bigger things she was doing, but in some groups it's really hard not to have the same conversation over and over and over, and often it wasn't constructive the first time.

DS demands a lot of stimulation, and to get it I take him to programs and things. I think the programs tend to draw nervous moms. The staffs tend to encourage it, and get really frustrated with me because I'm not lapping up their every suggestion. I don't have a good solution to that, either.

<sigh>

See, everything anyone notices is really just a reflection on what's goin' on inside their heads...

Oh dear, this is both incomprehensible and rambly. Maybe I'll just shut up now!

N
    N
    Originally Posted by Michaela
    See, everything anyone notices is really just a reflection on what's goin' on inside their heads...

True. I've often noticed that the things that annoy me most in other people are things I do myself. blush

Yes, we are super sensitive to those around us when we ourselves tend to go in that direction. As I said in the first post ... as parents with gifted children, we should support each other. I suspect you noticed the looks from the other parents and if you are like me, put yourself in her shoes which just made it worse. I, too, have had similar issues with a group of moms. My DD's dance class last year had some possible gifted girls in it, especially one where her older brother was accepted into the gifted program for kindergarten. The mom was very careful on how she approached it, especially with one mom whose son is possibly on the spectrum and was considering holding him back from starting kindergarten the next year, but her argument was that he wasn't reading yet. Perhaps her saving face approach to the other reasons she was considering it (not that having a child on the spectrum is a bad thing but I think to the mom it was unthinkable). This set the stage for some interesting conversation and with the mom of the gifted child basically boasting about her son reading before he entered kindergarten but he was not in the norm. I really didn't mind her information and wasn't offended by it but sat up when I heard the same mom argue the famous 'they all even out by 3rd grade'. I just saw it as a major put down to her own child. When I out and out asked her if she really believed that, she changed her tune and admitted that she didn't.

Talking about a gifted child in the social setting can be difficult and for the most part I stay away from it. I have come to realize that it isn't important that the other mothers know that my child is gifted. It really is important that I accept it and do everything in my power to encourage her to learn and not lose her spark. I don't even discuss it with her teachers because I feel like I'm boasting. Still a problem I need to get over and a sign that I have been burned a few times in the past and just don't want to deal with it. This said ... last week I talked to DDs teacher for an update on her progress and discovered that she is doing really well and progressing across the board. (She is in a Spanish Immersion program.) While talking to her teacher, I gave her some background on DD which didn't shock her. She has told me on numerous occasions that DD is a very smart little girl. But it felt good to tell her a little bit about DD which might explain why she is able to do what she sees her do in class but also to allow the teacher to challenge her even more. We like the school and find there is challenge in the fact that it is taught in Spanish but I know what they are working on which equates to kindergarten level work for public schools is still not much of a challenge for DD. She is 3 1/2 and equal to second grade. I am doing my part at home, providing her with more challenging work and I hope that with the Spanish fulfills her. Right now she seems happy and loves school. So maybe we are doing something right.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM