Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 303 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #70995 03/10/10 11:43 PM
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    I recently got our test scores back for ds6:

WISC-IV - standard scores:
    Verbal Comprehension 112
    Perceptual Reasoning 119
    Working Memory 110
    Processing Speed 80
    FSIQ 109

They were done by a psychologist outside the school. He told me that he let ds continue with the test beyond the allotted time and he did really well but that part couldn't be counted on the score because of the time limit. His words were "he was doing things that 17 year olds can't do." So I know ds is smart - maybe not gifted but I'm not sure what to do about the processing speed to help him. The psychologist also said ds has ADHD - I'm not sure how that might have affected his processing speed, getting off-task during the test. I do know that when I ask him a simple question, there is a delay before he answers even if he is paying attention.

He seems bored out of his mind at Kindergarten and is a behavior problem - recently I started pulling him out 2 hours early every day to give him some one-on-one time but he is so anti-school right now that we are taking a step back and trying to figure out what we should even be doing with him for homeschool time - it's been extremely hands-on, no written work at all yet.

Any ideas on what I should ask the school to do or that I can do at home? Thanks so much!

Last edited by LadybugMom; 03/10/10 11:44 PM.
    https://www.lumosity.com
    has a free area, and they claim to be good with improving processing speed and working memory, so you might want to start there for your afterschooling. Unless they just make him cry...

Let me know if it seems to work,ok?
    grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks!

Master of None - any suggestions for educational computer games with a generous time limit. The ones we do are crayon physics and fantastic contraptions - those don't really have any time element at all. I'm not a video game fan at all but if it has a point and isn't mindless garbage or violence then I'd be OK with it if it helped. He is really good at a car racing game that I am terrible at because I think it is SO boring.

Grinity - I will definitely try lumosity tonight and let you know!

Just to give you a taste our frustration level, ds punched a kid and kicked another kid today at school. He is one of the smallest kids in K but I guess he has no fear. This is a kid who until this year was the most lovable kid (and still is at home most of the time). The kids do seem to like him for now anyway. frown

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks - I just ordered some things from birdrock. If you order more than $20 worth, you get 10% which more than covers the cheap shipping. I wondered about things like the encyclopedia since it didn't give the publish year but all the things I bought were timeless. Thanks for the recommendation!

Grinity - I did try lumosity and there were a few tears but we found some games that he was OK with and he started getting into it and got his confidence up. I do think it will be a good site for us. I was getting into the birdwatching game tonight.

Good luck Ladybug Mom! I was quite surprised that I was pretty good at the birdwatching game - it was sort of fun. Unlike the raindrop game. - ug!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM