Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 255 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #69858 02/25/10 08:00 PM
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    I was advocating for DD7 for Math. I want the teacher to let her do side A and skip side B. Both sides are exactly the same work. She has a 97% in Math for the current semester in progress. She has two papers amongst all the 100% papers that are 90%. The teacher said NO, she is not always getting 100%.
    What can you say to this? What I would like is for my DD to do a provided logic or puzzle workbook so she can get more out of her time.

When advocating for my DS9 in Math, He was having some issues with details like remembering to do the $ signs, am and pm, ect. Teacher said, well he is pulling some 88% on papers. I told her it's not a matter of understanding it's a matter of attention to details. Luckily he has overcome most of this.

Has anybody overcome this teacher Grading issue?

Last edited by onthegomom; 02/25/10 08:02 PM.
    I'd ask if she requires other students to get 100% to pass, or would she consider a 97% (!!!) to perhaps demonstrate sufficient mastery?

...Only without the snotty tone I'm taking there. Sorry, I can't help myself.

I'd be angling for an 85-90% to show sufficent mastery, personally. I'm pulling for you. Things like this make me so frustrated. frown mad cry

Kriston
    T
    T
    In Susan Weinbrenner's book she writes about a strategy called "most difficult first". It essentially works like this:

all students who feel that they have mastery of the work on an assignment can opt for "most difficult first". They do the four most difficult problems and if they get them correct, they're done. If they don't get them correct then they go back and do the rest of the problems. Certainly gives kids who have carelessness issues a little more incentive to check over their work smile

The description in the book is easy to understand, not overly long and presented in a way that's hard to reject. It also talks about how a child who consistently is able to do this is going to need to be moved to more advanced work, but that's another story.

Maybe you could get ahold of the book and photocopy that section? Is part of her issue that she thinks a puzzle workbook is not 'work-ish' looking enough? Would she accept an alternative go-to resource like one of the Challenging Word Problem books from Primary (Singapore) Math?

Good luck with this. It certainly can't be a good use of her time to do endless repetitions of easily mastered materials!

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations