Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 435 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    I know numbers show only a limited picture, but is there any general consensous on level and NEED for accelaration? For instance, can many children with an IQ around 130 be "just fine" staying with their class? If a child has an IQ of 145, would one grade skip be in order? I realize I am trying to simplify the process to a simple formula which is probably impssible since there is so much variation child to child, but am just trying to get a general feel for things. I am not sure where my DD falls since she is so young, but am thinking about early entry, etc.

M
    Mag Offline
    M
    You might know this already. But just in case: Several members on this forum recommended the Iowa Acceleration Scale Manual. The book looks into several factors, including ability, aptitude, achievement, developmental factors, etc. We thought it was helpful because rather then "just the numbers," we were evaluating the child from multiple aspects.

Also, you might consider checking with your school district to see if your child needs to take an exam to qualify for early entrance (and the dates the exam is given). And, what kind of accelerated/gifted programs are available for your child at her particular age/grade. (For example, we were being told that there are math enrichment programs at our school. However, the math enrichment does not start until 3rd grade.)

Hope this helps!

I don't know the answer to this, but my son(6) didn't test very highly gifted and the psychologist recommended an immediate grade skip (to third grade), because he just really excels in academics.

Last edited by tofu; 01/25/10 04:20 PM.
    C
    C
    Generally 130/98th percentile is the minimum to consider grade skipping, but the other things Mag mentioned are taken into consideration as well including achievement. We have two children who are at or above that threshold and a grade skip has worked well for the one with all of those other pieces in place. Our younger one probably won't need a skip despite possibly higher IQ scores than her sister b/c those other pieces are not in place at the moment.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations