Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
I know numbers show only a limited picture, but is there any general consensous on level and NEED for accelaration? For instance, can many children with an IQ around 130 be "just fine" staying with their class? If a child has an IQ of 145, would one grade skip be in order? I realize I am trying to simplify the process to a simple formula which is probably impssible since there is so much variation child to child, but am just trying to get a general feel for things. I am not sure where my DD falls since she is so young, but am thinking about early entry, etc.
Posted By: Mag Re: is there an IQ threshold for acceleration? - 01/25/10 11:15 PM
You might know this already. But just in case: Several members on this forum recommended the Iowa Acceleration Scale Manual. The book looks into several factors, including ability, aptitude, achievement, developmental factors, etc. We thought it was helpful because rather then "just the numbers," we were evaluating the child from multiple aspects.

Also, you might consider checking with your school district to see if your child needs to take an exam to qualify for early entrance (and the dates the exam is given). And, what kind of accelerated/gifted programs are available for your child at her particular age/grade. (For example, we were being told that there are math enrichment programs at our school. However, the math enrichment does not start until 3rd grade.)

Hope this helps!
Posted By: tofu Re: is there an IQ threshold for acceleration? - 01/25/10 11:20 PM
I don't know the answer to this, but my son(6) didn't test very highly gifted and the psychologist recommended an immediate grade skip (to third grade), because he just really excels in academics.
Generally 130/98th percentile is the minimum to consider grade skipping, but the other things Mag mentioned are taken into consideration as well including achievement. We have two children who are at or above that threshold and a grade skip has worked well for the one with all of those other pieces in place. Our younger one probably won't need a skip despite possibly higher IQ scores than her sister b/c those other pieces are not in place at the moment.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum