Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 285 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    C
    Just wanted to throw in that we are looking at a private, Episcopal school here in town. When we went to the Open House they mentioned that they have children and families from all different religious backgrounds and encourage diversity. This is actually from the school's website...

** School strives to develop the whole child in mind, body, and spirit. The spiritual aspect of the child is nurtured throughout the whole school, in the classroom and in various activities, by the caring of the teachers and staff in the children�s environment, in the way discipline is handled, and by the example of the teachers� and staff members� lives.

In addition, we give a great deal of time to more formal Christian education in Chapel and in Christian education classes, which are taught by Sisters, the Chaplain and other teachers who have both background and interest in this area. Children of all faiths participate and find Chapel and the classes to be interesting and to contain much that they can apply to their own lives in their own traditions. Furthermore, children from other traditions have enriched our classes with their own faith�s insights.

The ** community is very diverse -- culturally, ethnically, and religiously -- as are most Episcopal schools. All of our children and faculty participate in Chapel each week; say prayers in the classrooms and before / after meals; and at all school gatherings. In our Christian Education classes and chapel services, we are open to our belief that Jesus is the Savior. At the same time, we believe that God has called us to join the members of the ** community along their faith walk. This is a community called to nurture the whole child and to show them God's unending love without requiring them to believe in the doctrines of the Episcopal Church or any other church, denomination, or religion.

I feel okay about all that. And from what I have seen in my brief visits there and interacting with staff, I think that's pretty accurate. We happen to be Episcopalian, but I was not at all comfortable with some of the more fundamental religious private schools in our area.

D
    D
    Something to consider is that teachers cannot be denied employment at faith affiliated schools based on their own religious beliefs, so they are not necessarily all practicing the same faith as the majority of their students.

I sent my older DD (now 25) to a Lutheran school, although I am religious I am not Lutheran and I did not go to the church there. I was a divorced mom on little income and they worked with me on the costs to make sure she could go. Also, later when she entered public school in 5th grade she was a good 3 years ahead of her classmates, I say this because even though she is bright I don't know if I would say gifted.

I think the bottom line is the school will welcome you, help you with finances if needed, my guess is that they would more than likely work with you on DD school work if needed, even if you send your child there for a year and then go to a public school. That's just what most church affiliated schools do. Good luck and best wishes smile

C
    C
    WannaBeGTEduc and Kimck, We are Unitarian too! (The ironic thing we have found more friction between our UU community and the notion of sending dd to a private school, than say the private school's chapel program and our UU faith.)
    If the school has a prayer book for chapel you may be able to borrow a copy.

Chrys

Warning: sleep deprived
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by Chrys
    WannaBeGTEduc and Kimck, We are Unitarian too! (The ironic thing we have found more friction between our UU community and the notion of sending dd to a private school, than say the private school's chapel program and our UU faith.)
    If the school has a prayer book for chapel you may be able to borrow a copy.

Chrys

Interesting!? UU communities can be so different. Ours seems pretty laid back. I kind of expected a little flack when we started homeschooling, but we've gotten only positive remarks. We've even found several families there that are also homeschooling.

Our UU community also has many, many GT kids and adults which is really nice! I've had many good discussions about GT kid struggles there. smile

R
    R
    hey all
    just wanted to throw in that we're also Unitarian, though i was brought up Episcopalian. I think its funny that it was mentioned that there are a lot of GT people in UU because when we describe what a UU service is like to those who are not familiar we say "a cross between a college political science lecture and church".. wow they do tend to be bright, and until i had my HG kids, didn't think we quite fit in, but always learned a lot there. Also it was funny that UU sunday school was the first place where my daughter was accelerated. She was three and I dropped her off at the nursery room and when i returned she was sitting in the next room with the kindergardeners learning about Thomas Jefferson and other famous Unitiarians. They actually asked me if i "minded" the switch which looking back is really funny.
    I wish everyone could be so accomodating.
    irene

K
    K
    Originally Posted by renie1
    hey all
    just wanted to throw in that we're also Unitarian, though i was brought up Episcopalian. I think its funny that it was mentioned that there are a lot of GT people in UU because when we describe what a UU service is like to those who are not familiar we say "a cross between a college political science lecture and church".. wow they do tend to be bright, and until i had my HG kids, didn't think we quite fit in, but always learned a lot there. Also it was funny that UU sunday school was the first place where my daughter was accelerated. She was three and I dropped her off at the nursery room and when i returned she was sitting in the next room with the kindergardeners learning about Thomas Jefferson and other famous Unitiarians. They actually asked me if i "minded" the switch which looking back is really funny.
    I wish everyone could be so accomodating.
    irene

LOL - sometimes DH and I joke that we forgot to read the required text after coming out of a "lecture" on Sunday, so I know just what you mean. laugh

DS was actually accelerated in his RE classes early on as well. His first and only acceleration! I really love our RE program. It's been a great fit for both our kids and really rounds out homeschooling for us. They do art, tai chi, chinese lettering, music, story telling, drama, history, etc etc etc. All very dynamic and open ended.

W
    W
    I sent DD to the Jesuit school, because in the tour they said they did accelerate -- though they got a new principal since....

The community is great and I am doing the horizontal diversification with Mandarin and piano to make up the curriculum but what bugs me the most is the lack of physical actvity. The uniform thing is strict. For the simplest reason, they cancel recess and stay inside and watch TV. It is driving me and most parents up the wall but because it is considered a good school and difficult to get into, they don't care.

Anyway, sometimes the odd thing can get at you. We are looking at other options for next year, but this thing I wouldn't expect. I do not think it is good for a 5 year old to spend 8:30 to 2:45 inside. My opinion. But after the Montessori preschool where they thought it was important and always took the kids out unless super cold or raining, I think the Catholics are a bit ridculous.

On another note. Since DH and I were raised Catholic, though weak on the practicing part. We thought it was a good idea to teach DD religion, like another subject. They do take care of that. DD took a prayer card, of Christ standing on a cloud, out of her grandfather's missle and asked if it was Jesus or Zeus. So the knowledge of knowing who's who can't hurt.

Ren

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years