Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 106 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #65661 01/12/10 05:19 AM
    OP Offline
    I wanted to give a quick update on DDs self advocacy (not sure if that is the right word). She is 11 and went to her guidance counselor in September to ask for a skip in math. At first she got the "it's early in the year, let's see later" from her teacher and the counselor agreed. The she went to talk again stating that she wants a more fast paced learning environment (her words, not mine). She was granted a trial in Algebra and the trial went well. After the holiday break she joined the class full time and is doing well!!

She is so proud of herself for advocating her own learning needs and the school really took her seriously. I hope that maybe other students middle and high school age might find this helpful when considering how to approach their school. I have not talked to anyone in her school about this and I think it took the "pushy parent" appearance out of the equation. I did send a thank you to appropriate people after the transition was successful.

Jen

Mommy2myEm #65664 01/12/10 06:02 AM
    C
    C
    WOW! Do you think she would have any interest is writing about how she did it? I bet there are some other gifties out there who could benefit from reading her story!
    Chrys

Warning: sleep deprived
    Chrys #65670 01/12/10 07:37 AM
    Jen,

That is great! Yes, the other kids need to hear that you can self-advocate and it can work.

Breakaway4 #65711 01/12/10 01:27 PM
    B
    B
    Good for her! Hooray!

I too think a "how-to manual" would be helpful for many, many kids.

BonusMom #65713 01/12/10 02:00 PM
    This is wonderful. The more that kids feel comfortable self-advocating, the better!

Maryann1 #65732 01/12/10 04:11 PM
    OP Offline
    Thanks for all the encouragement. Since she loves writing, she might be interested in sharing her story. I think if I had contacted the school, we may have had a meeting or two by now, but she was able to discuss the matter herself which made things move along quicker. From the first conversation, her guidance counselor took her seriously and discussed future plans and why DD wanted to work ahead in math. He understood that DD was not pushed but she requested more challenge. The only thing I told her was to be respectful and expect to stay in her current class despite these conversations. She was so excited that she did it herself which is exactly what I wanted for her.

I will post her writing, if she decides to do that and I hope even just mentioning this will encourage other gifted kids to advocate for themselves when they are not challenged in school.

Jen

Mommy2myEm #65895 01/14/10 08:58 AM
    S
    S
    Wow! Congrats, what a great experience for her! I wish my DD15 would have the courage to speak up for herself like that, on any level. It's wonderful your DD has receptive staff at her school that will truly listen.

Mommy2myEm #65902 01/14/10 09:18 AM
    O
    O
    good job for raising a kid who can speak up. That takes courage.

I'm making my son buy lunch once a week so he will learn to speak up and say he doesn't want gravy on his mash potatoes, ect. Baby steps for him.

Mommy2myEm #70713 03/08/10 07:37 AM
    D
    D
    I work at the University of North Texas in Denton, TX, and am an Educational Diagnostician who specializes in highly and profoundly gifted students. I am a strong proponent for gifted student self-advocacy. I would be more than happy to help your daughter document her experiences and get it out for the public to see. (I wish my own two daughters, now 26 and 28, had had the opportunity for such awareness.)

If you are interested and would like to take this discussion "off-line," you may email me at Lemoyne.Dunn@unt.edu and I will be happy to give you my contact information. I believe you're daughter has a lot to say. I look forward to hearing from you.

Lemoyne S. Dunn, PhD
    Texas Center for Educational Technology
    University of North Texas
    Denton, TX

DrDunn #70753 03/08/10 02:06 PM
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by DrDunn
    I work at the University of North Texas in Denton, TX, and am an Educational Diagnostician who specializes in highly and profoundly gifted students.
    What's an Educational Diagnostician, exactly, and what is the qualification you hold for that? I had a look at your university home page and CV and couldn't tell.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...