Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 269 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    Hi,

I posted earlier with my DD8's Cogat scores 97th percentile verbal and 98th percentile quantitative.

She took the WISC-IV yesterday (both sections in one day!) and we were delighted and surprised with the results. Her GAI is 140 and her reading grade level was 8.7. I'll get the complete report next week, but this result puts her in the HG range, doesn't it? Two of the subtests had a 20 plus score!

Unfortunately her overall FSIQ was lower because of her low processing scores (which we already knew about) so we won't make DYS. What do you think? Should we take the EXPLORE test next year and submit with a portfolio?

If you're wondering about math, I have never given her any outside coaching or help in this area as it's not my area of strength. Her reasoning ability was two grade levels above 2nd grade, but her operations were only grade level. She is figuring out multiplication by herself, and also fractions.

But BEST of all, is that DD8 seems inspired by the results! She is trying much harder at piano today, and working on her math facts. She is starting to understand that her slow speed isn't because she's "dumb"; also that she has the assymmetrical profile, and needs to work harder at writing and operations.

M
    Mam Offline
    M
    Cool! The GAI already doesn't take into account the processing speed.

Very nice that she is happy with her results.

She must have taken an achievement test as well. The WISC won't give you reading levels.

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks Dottie, I always appreciate your input. When I get the complete report, I'll repost. Yes, comfortably gifted is fine by me -- it's already hard enough providing this child with books. It seems that her goal of being a veterinarian is well within reach as long as she studies methodically.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent