Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #63795 12/11/09 08:04 PM
    P
    pand Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    I'm new to the forum so please redirect me if this topic is covered elsewhere.

My dd9 is struggling on one issue in school. She has an unusual form of dyslexia where she can't remember how to spell words (despite repetition). A particular form of this manifests in being unable to copy words. She'll often leave out a letter or group of letters, reverses b's/d's or capitalizes B's and D's to avoid directionality. After significant tests by the school (and independently) they've identified that she has an orthographic memory issue. What's really odd is that she can sight read with high comprehension and can identify misspelled words, but can't produce the right spelling even if copying. This recognition and production issue also shows up in rote memorization of math facts.

I should mention she is 3 grades ahead on vocabulary/reading comprehension/... but 2 grades behind in spelling/math. This is what is so odd.

We got an IEP in place last year for speech but the school would not recognize her difficulty in spelling/math as a learning disability (we live in California) saying that this is a learning difference and not a recognized disability. I'm still not sure what that means. We did get some accomodations where she doesn't have to copy from the board, spelling doesn't count on compositions, and no timing on math tests. Our issue is that her teacher thinks she's just not trying hard enough and this is causing my dd9 to break down in tears as she really is trying as hard as she can. It is really obvious in her writing.

We're trying to figure out what to do. My dd9 does have some social anxiety and so pulling her out for using a resource room isn't working. We feel a bit stuck and would value any advice on either working with the school or doing more outside school.

Thanks,

Buster

Hi Buster,
    I haven't faced this with my DS, but I am a terrible speller! I made a choice not to use spell checker here to demonstrate that spelling and intelligence are not 'always' directly correlated.

I was looking at this
    http://www.ncsip.org/programs/Unit%209.html
    Introduction

In Unit 2 we discussed the different types of language skills which are important for reading and writing; i.e., phonology, orthography, morphology, syntax, semantics, and pragmatics. Orthography, or the spelling patterns of English, is the study of the ways in which speech is represented in writing. Because there is not a direct, one-to-one relationship between speech sounds and letters in English, students are often taught to memorize word spellings. However, an understanding of the nature of the spelling process has led to an appreciation of the critical role of linguistics, i.e., knowledge of language structures, in learning to spell. Research has also led to a renewed appreciation of the reciprocal relationship between reading and spelling. Prior to the 20th century, spelling was the primary method of teaching reading and we again recognize that spelling instruction enhances reading skill; for example, through the reinforcement of letter patterns (Carreker, 1999).

It is important for teachers to understand that spelling is more complex and more difficult than word identification. In order to be good spellers, students must be able to ENCODE, that is segment words into sounds and map those sounds onto letters in the correct sequence. They must also possess considerable knowledge about the correct orthographic representation for the sounds in each word. For example, a student who is able to determine that the long vowel /e/ is present in a word still must be able to select from multiple spellings for this sound in order to spell the word correctly. Although there are some general �rules� for spelling sounds such as the -ey spelling for the long e sound at the end of words, in other cases (such as the word �team�) the student must rely on memory for the correct spelling. The student�s memory for letter sequences must be exact - �taem� and �teem� are incorrect while �team� is correct. In addition, correct spelling in English requires knowledge of syntax, morphology, and semantics. For example, students must understand that past tense is formed by adding -ed to words even though the -ed ending may have three different sounds (/t/; /d/; /ed/).
    So apparently 'bad spelling' can be the result of a lot of different things, and there are many parts of orthographic memory. For example, in elementary school, I was great at spelling long science words, because there followed a few rules and were otherwise 'like they sounded.' I also have problems 'seeing' the blackboard in my head, and sort of average working memory, a bottleneck for me.

I would track down what she can spell, and what she can't. I would try to find out what abilities are intact, and which ones are hopeless. I would try to teach her latin roots, and greek roots. If she isn't getting much out of pull outs - can they see her before or after school? Can you do it yourself? Can you hire a tutor?

Does she have a blackboard - I can't close my eyes and see '462 + 589' at all. But I'm very fast at processing speed, so if I repeat the numbers over and over, I can run to paper and write them down. Then I can solve the problem.

Have you had her checked by an OT? I also had trouble telling my right from left hand, compared to agemates. Certian excersizes, such as swimming, that involve crossing the midline seem to help.

Bottom line is - your number one priority is to keep growing her strengths. Number 2 is to get the teacher on board. Have pleasant meeting after pleasant meeting until teacher gets the message, and don't be afraid to say how much this is hurting DD emotionally. School understand that and care. Go to the principle or IEP person if nicey-nice doesn't move the teacher.

Also, start teaching DD keyboarding. I remember feeling quite stupid before I found 'spell checker.' Lucky for me I can recognise the right word.

Also, keep an eye out for 'top-down' thinking. I'm naturally a 'see the whole picture in a moment' kind of thinker. Asking me to tell you the details that led me to my conclusion is asking a lot of me. I'm just really a fish in water when I'm flying over a problem like a bird in the air. If this is one of your daughter's strengths, help her understand that G-d made each of us with unique talents, and this is one of hers. G-d needs spellers and birdseye viewers, even if school doesn't. Which is why 'job one' is developing her gifts.

Write back and let us know exactly what words she can do and which tasks she can't. If she can identify misspelled words, can she select the correct one if given 3 choices?

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Also,
    I wanted to add that at age 9, she has a lot of growing to do, and I'm sure she has already shown that she can 'leap ahead' in her areas of strength. My hunch is that if you work with her a bit, she MAY be able to leap ahead here.

If she is copying from a notecard with one huge short word, like DOG to notebook paper, can she do that? What stratagy would she use? I would have to verbally repeat D-O-G to myself. Other people would count the letters, measure how many go above the midline and how many don't and what is the pattern. Some use that mental blackboard. Some do the rooms of the house thing.

Sleep well,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM